Dear Janine,

Thank you for posting this sad news, indeed.

There were many who knew Lois better than I did, but she and I always
greeted each other warmly, both in person and online, and she always
took an interest in my work, as I did in hers.

I had the distinct privilege of being able to review the third edition
of her seminal Art Information (1990) for Art Libraries Journal, under
the guidance of Alex Ross (the Book Review editor) and Philip Pacey (the
editor), and it was the first of several in-depth review articles I did
for ALJ.

Without having done that review of Lois's book, I probably never would
have forced myself to read her entire text, for I had never read the
entire texts of the first and second editions of her wonderful book,
1978 and 1984 respectively.

To prepare for the review, which developed into a review article, I read
every word and, as I recall, checked every source.  Those who read my
review know to the exhaustive and exhausting lengths I went to dissect
its smallest detail and to evaluate its broadest statements.

I loved doing that review, and my admiration for Lois Swan Jones soared
as I worked through her book.

Anyone who has used it in Library school, and/or her Internet title of
1999, as a student or teacher, or who used it, as I did, as text for
courses I taught on Research Methods and Resources in the Visual Arts,
first for M.A. art history and Senior undergraduate art history majors
in the Art Department of Oberlin College and most recently for senior
art history majors and incoming M.A. art history students in the Art and
Art History Department of University of Missouri-Kansas City, know full
well its immense value.

Lois was one of the pioneers of our profession.  Her works and her
person affected most, if not all, of our lives to some extent.  She will
be sorely missed.

Peace  Peace  Peace

Jeffrey

Dr. Jeffrey Weidman
Senior Librarian, Public Services & Collection Development
Spencer Art Reference Library
The Nelson-Atkins Museum of Art
4525 Oak Street
Kansas City, MO  64111