Apologies for late/post vacation response...

I too use the Bowker Annual - for 2005 - see
Table 5, p. 509 "US College Books: Average Prices and
Price Indexes" and Table 4, "North American Academic
Books: Average Prices and Price Indexes 2001-2003." I
also occasionally use the hardcover and periodical
prices. You'll see that Table 4 culls data from B&T,
Blackwell and YBP.

For more detailed data, see both the YBP and Blackwell
sites (as YBP and B&T merged). Their reports are
extensive and broken down in various ways (e.g.
Blackwell subject, LC class, publication type - even
"art exhibition catalog," country, etc.)

*YBP Annual Book Price Update: New Title
Reports/05-06:
http://www.ybp.com/ybp/DomIndex.html?title_reports.html&1

*Blackwell: Cost and Coverage
http://www.blackwell.com/librarian_resources/cost_and_coverage/

In some cases this could be somewhat duplicative - if
for example your collection manager uses the
publication universe (often culled from YBP or
Blackwell) in calculating annual allocations. I ask
in advance because occasionally our fund allocation
formula changes and may include or exclude such
outside numbers. And, institutional usage is hard for
us to come by right now because we migrated in July.

Good luck,

Kate Cunningham-Hendrix
University at Buffalo Libraries
Art Selector and Project Librarian
423 Lockwood Library | Amherst, NY 14260
Phone: 716-645-2814 ext. 456
Email: [log in to unmask]

http://mail.yahoo.com