afternoon, I want to provide a bit more explanation about ARLIS-L
becoming a fully moderated list.

The reason behind this change was outlined in President Ann
Whiteside's message from August 17th:

***************************

"As part of the work of analyzing our services across ARLIS/NA, we
have been looking at the use of "jobnet" and ARLIS-L for the posting of
positions. As you may or may not be aware, the posting of job
opportunities is a service which we provide through ARLIS/NA
Headquarters.  Openings are listed on ARLIS/NA JobNet and are also
posted once on ARLIS-L. This service is invoiced based on the word count
of the ad accordingly, with the base fees being $100 for the first 200
words, and $0.50/ each additional word.  Institutional members receive
an additional 25% discount on this service. We have had some
misunderstanding about this service and how it is provided. In an effort
to ensure we are providing services consistently, the Board, with
Listserv moderator Judy Dyki's agreement, has agreed to move ARLIS-L to
a moderated listserv. Moving to a moderated listserv will allow Judy to
catch job postings that have not yet been properly invoiced, which means
that postings to the list will not be as immediate as they currently
are, but will still post several times per day.  We are not closing the
listserv; we are merely moving to a moderated list at this time."

*****************************

Job postings, spam, and messages that are completely off topic are the
ONLY messages that I will be stopping.  Any messages related to
ARLIS/NA, art librarianship, visual resources curatorship, and
librarianship in general will be approved for posting to the listserv.
I assure you that it is not my role to censor postings in any way, so I
hope you'll continue to send your messages that are informative,
controversial, humorous, passionate ... please use the listserv for
whatever is on your mind.  ARLIS-L will continue to be a vital and
dynamic vehicle for communication.

There will also be no change in the commands that you use to set your
subscription to "NOMAIL" when you go on vacation -- or any of the
other commands -- so just keep doing what you've been doing!

Thanks to all!

Judy Dyki
ARLIS-L Moderator