For starters, have you tried the
CHICAGO ARTISTS' ARCHIVES:
A Guide to the Collection
Art Information Center/
Visual & Performing Arts Division
Chicago Public Library
Compiled by Margarete Gross, Head, Chicago Artists' Archives
http://www.chipublib.org/008subject/001artmusic/chicago_art_archives.html

Miguel

Miguel Juarez, Assistant Professor
Librarian/Curator of Hispanic/Latino Studies Collections
Cushing Memorial Library & Archives
Sterling C. Evans Memorial Library
Texas A&M University
MS5000 TAMU
College Station, TX  77843-5000
Voice (979) 845-1951
FAX (979) 845-1441
College Station, TX  77843-5000
E-mail: [log in to unmask]

>>> melissae Melissa Earley REF <[log in to unmask]> 8/9/2006 3:35
PM >>>
Hi, everyone,

I have a patron looking for any available information about the
following artist.  We have already sent a query into the Art Institute
of Chicago, but anything you all might have would be most helpful.  This
is the sum total of the information I was given:

"His name was Ambrose McNeil, though it may have been spelled McNeal
occasionally. He was born in 1840 and is believed to have died sometime
after 1896 in Chicago. In 1890-91, he was working as an artist in
Waukesha Village, WI.  He also was supposed to have taught at the Art
Institute of Chicago, sometime in the late 1880s or 1890s."

Thanks in advance!

Melissa Earley

Reference Librarian II
Spartanburg County Public Libraries
151 S. Church Street
Spartanburg, SC 29306
(864) 596-3505

"The America I love still exists at the front desks of our public
libraries." Kurt Vonnegut

SCPL: www.infodepot.org
<http://www.infodepot.org/inhouse/govpf2.html>
New Art Books Update:
www.infodepot.org/artbookupdates/artbookupdates.htm
<http://www.infodepot.org/artbookupdates/artbookupdates.htm>

"Any opinions expressed are those of the individual and may not reflect
the opinions or policies of the Spartanburg County Public Libraries."

Questions may be addressed to list owner (Judy Dyki) at: