Dear ARLIS-L,
Thank you SO much for all the great responses about compact shelving and
art books.  I do have more than a year to lobby for units with 12 inch
deep shelving (a common suggestion from almost everyone).  Besides
ammunition to take back to the space planning committee, you have
provided me with a wealth of helpful information about compact shelving,
oversize & folio shelving, and the conversion process.  When I return
from the holidays, I will be glad to compile responses to share.
Have a happy (and safe) holiday weekend.
Sincerely, Kim Collins

Dear Collective Wisdom,
Here at Emory University we are undertaking a multi-year project to
convert our Stack tower to Compact Shelving.
Standard shelves can only accommodate a book with a height of 12 1/2
inches (or less) and a width (or rather length) of  9 1/2 inches (or
less).  The shelf has a depth of only 9 inches.
If your collection is housed in compact shelving, how have you chosen to
deal with oversized books?
Does everything go to the folio shelves?
I am actually most concerned about length b/c most art books are wider
than 9 inches, and the units will not close properly if the books are
much wider.

Please reply to me off the list at [log in to unmask] .
Thanks for your help at this BUSY time of year.
Sincerely,
Kim Collins, art history librarian and collection management subject
liaison coordinator
Robert W. Woodruff Library, Emory University, 540 Asbury Circle.
Atlanta, Georgia 30322
(404)727-2997. Fax (404)727-0408, [log in to unmask]