Thought I'd share my response to Ed Deegan's query, should there be any
interest in good writing on art apart from the usual pedantry.

Some American poets and novelists who have authored books on art and
artists:

John Yau (poet)
Roger Brown. (1987)
Rackstraw Downes (1984)
Brice Marden.  (1988)
Malcolm Morley.  (1984)
Ed Moses (1996)
Andy Warhol: In the Realm of Appearances. (1993)
A.R. Penck.  (1993)
    and others

Robert Creeley (poet)
Presences: A Text for Marisol.  (1976)

Charlotte Perkins Stetson Gilman (19th century novelist and feminist
writer):
Art Gems for the Home and Fireside.  (1890).  Written under her married
name, Mrs. Charles Walter Stetson.

Ralph Ellison (novelist, African-American)
Romare Bearden: Paintings and Projections. (1968)

Mark Strand (poet)
William Bailey (1978)

William Dean Howell (realist novelist):
A Little Girl Among the Old Masters.  (1884)

Frank O'Hara (poet)
Robert Motherwell (1965)
Nakian. (1966)
Jackson Pollock (1969)
Art Chronicles 1954-1966.  (1975)
New Spanish Painting and Sculpture.  (1960)

William Carlos Williams (poet).
Charles Sheeler.  (1939)

and four of my favorite writers (notably Wallace Stevens and Henry James)

John Ashbery (poet):
Louisa Matthiasdottir.  (1982)
Fairfield Porter.  (1982)
Yves Tanguy.  (1984)
Mark Tobey.  (1976)
Neil Welliver.  (1985)
Edwin Dickinson.  (1982)
Reported Sightings: Art Chronicles, 1957-1987.  (1989)

Henry James (novelist):
Picture and Text.  (1893)

John Updike (novelist)
Just Looking: Essays on Art.  (1989)

Stevens, Wallace  (poet)
The relations between poetry and painting.  (1951)

    Ray Smith
    R.W. Smith Bookseller

(M.A. and M.Phil. in American Studies, Yale University)