ARLIS/NA Assessment Task Force Update

Since the Assessment Survey closed on August 4, the Assessment Task Force
has been analyzing the data we collected.  We thought the general
membership might be interested in seeing preliminary results.  We have
posted the numeric results, without comment, on the ARLIS/NA members-only
website. Included are a summary of the numeric data and charts of results
sorted by age ranges.  Our thanks go to Nedda Ahmed for making this
available on the web.

We had a response rate of 43%, which, while not spectacular, is better
than the typical survey response rate of 20% or less. Using the usual
demarcation between "satisfied" and "not satisfied" of 3.8 (out of 5), it
is obvious from the scores that we need to somehow reconsider divisions,
sections, roundtables, discussion groups, and liaising to other
organizations. Chapters are well-beloved. Standing committees fared rather
well with a few exceptions.

Reading ARLIS-L, attending conferences, and belonging to a chapter are the
highest levels of participation in the Society.  Having too little time is
the main reason people aren't more involved-no surprise there. Learning
from colleagues and networking are cited most often as benefits of being
involved in ARLIS.  Most of our respondents are between 30 and 59 years of
age.

Much of the survey required a free text response, something that is
generally difficult to get people to write.  But not ARLIS.  You all are
very generous with your thoughts!  It is going to take some time to sift
through this, but suffice it to say at this point that there are strong
opinions on both sides of several issues.  And there are good ideas on how
the organization and its processes can be tweaked to serve the membership
better. There is also consensus on some problem areas, such as scheduling
DSRT meetings simultaneously at conferences. While we may not be able to
remedy this in the _immediate_ future, rest assured that the President is
learning of these issues as we uncover them.

Please do not hesitate to get in touch with any member of the task force
if you have further thoughts to share.

Sarah Falls, [log in to unmask]
Kathleen List, [log in to unmask]
Mark Pompelia, [log in to unmask]