Hanshan Tang Books New List 135 + Bronzes
Records for our new List 135
- including a special section on Bronzes -
have been added to our web site at:
     http://www.hanshan.com

The printed version of list 135 will be mailed out shortly.
PDF VERSIONS (Portable Document Format)
of our catalogues are also available on the site. Visit:
     http://www.hanshan.com?pdf

Please also see below for records of a few choice items.

If you did not get a copy of our *previous* catalogue 134, then you may have fallen
off the list for mailing of the printed version. Please get in touch if you
would  like to be reinstated. If you did get 134 and you have been active, the paper
copy of 135 will be on its way to you in due course. (Unless you have recently
asked to receive electronic notification only.)
---------------------------

A FEW GOOD NEW BOOKS JUST IN

ADDTJ1
Addiss, Stephen, Gerald Groemer and J. Thomas Rimer ed: TRADITIONAL JAPANESE ARTS AND CULTURE. An Illustrated Sourcebook. Honolulu, 2006. 253 pp. Colour plates. Index. 23x15 cm. Paper.
GBP 25.00
Arranged by historical period from the Jomon period through to the Momoyama and Edo (Tokugawa) periods. A treasure trove of information.
http://www.hanshan.com/index.html?a/ADDTJ1

ATWEM1
Atwood, Christopher P: ENCYCLOPEDIA OF MONGOLIA AND THE MONGOL EMPIRE. New York, 2004. 678 pp. A few b/w text illustrations.  28x22 cm. Boards.
GBP 65.00
A comprehensive encyclopaedia of Mongolia and the Mongols, providing up-to-date entries on all aspects of this people's turbulent history and rich culture, from prehistory to modern times. Particular emphasis is placed on the Mongol Empire.
http://www.hanshan.com/index.html?a/ATWEM1

CONS01
Conway, Susan: THE SHAN. Culture, Art and Crafts. London, 2006. 211 pp. 250 colour and 50 b/w illustrations.  28x21 cm. Cloth.
GBP 35.00
Traces the history of the Shan and the royal families who ruled over the city states. Extensively illustrated with the architecture, arts, crafts, ceremonies and rituals of these people.
http://www.hanshan.com/index.html?c/CONS01

DENBS2
Denison, Edward & Guang Yu Ren: BUILDING SHANGHAI. The Story of China's Gateway. Chichester, 2006. 258 pp. Colour and b/w illustrations throughout. 26x23 cm. Cloth.
GBP 39.99
A comprehensive narrative of Shanghai's narrative from its ancient origins, charting the impact and influence of foreign occupation in the 19th and early 20th centuries and through to the city's present explosive growth. Excellent and illuminating illustrations throughout. A good contribution.
http://www.hanshan.com/index.html?d/DENBS2

DUCPA1
Ducros, Alain: PROMENADE DANS L'ART JAPONAIS. Netsuke: Art Magie et Medicine (Volume 1). Inro et Necessaires de Fumeur: Art Magie et Medicine (Volume 2). Monaco, 2006. c. 350; 350 pp. Over 500 colour plates. Indexes. 2 vols. 33x24 cm. Cloth.
GBP 260.00
The book describes over 100 Netsuke, Inro and tobacco implements in detail and is remarkable for providing photography 360 degrees around each object. Text in both French and English.
http://www.hanshan.com/index.html?d/DUCPA1

ZZFCS1
FROM CORDOBA TO SAMARQAND. Masterpieces from the Museum of Islamic Art in Doha. Milan, 2006. 216 pp. Numerous colour plates.  29x25 cm. Boards.
GBP 29.00
Catalogue of a travelling exhibition presenting itself at the Louvre in Paris and later in 2006 at the Brooklyn Museum. Shows exceptional treasures of Islamic art in various media to premiere the opening of the Museum of Islamic Art in Doha. Also includes a section on the museum's architecture by Ieoh Ming Pei. Texts in English, French and Arabic.
http://www.hanshan.com/index.html?f/ZZFCS1

GB0HY1
Guangzhou Museum: HAIMAO YIZHEN: 18-20 SHIJI CHU GUANGZHOU WAIXIAO YISHUPIN. Gems Left by Overseas Trade: Cantonese Export Arts and Crafts from the Eighteenth to the Early Twentieth Century. Shanghai, 2005. 293 pp. Colour plates throughout. 29x21 cm. Boards.
GBP 50.00
Nearly 300 examples of Cantonese arts and crafts made for the western export market from the 18th to early 20th centuries are here illustrated in full colour plates. All pieces are from the collection of the Guangzhou Museum and many have not been illustrated before. The majority of pieces are ceramics (blue-and-white, famille rose, armorial etc.) but also includes numerous examples of ivory, textiles, maps, lacquer boxes, trade painting and pith paper painting. Contains a number of essays by Chinese experts: Cheng: East-West Encounters: Cantonese Exported Arts and Crafts from the Guangzhou Museum Collection; Ye: Blue and White Wares Shipped to Europe; Liu: Unique Canton Enamel Decorations; Zeng: Glory of Armorial Porcelain; Li: Ivory Carvings from Guangzhou, the Meeting Point of the Sino-West Trade;  Chen: Export Canton Embroidery; Bai: Canton Shops on Trade Paintings. Of appeal to anyone interested in Chinese export art or the China Trade. Dual Chinese and English text.
http://www.hanshan.com/index.html?g/GB0HY1

CA2003
Institute of Archaeology CAAS ed: CHINESE ARCHAEOLOGY. Volume 3 2003. Beijing, 2003. 2, 198 pp. Colour and b/w illustrations, text drawings. 29x21 cm. Paper.
GBP 60.00
2003 edition of an annual digest in English on Chinese archaeology. Contains 28 scholarly articles and reports on archaeological finds. Much variety. A very useful resource and reference.
http://www.hanshan.com/index.html?i/CA2003

CA2005
Institute of Archaeology CAAS ed: CHINESE ARCHAEOLOGY. Volume 5 2005. Beijing, 2005. 3, 238 pp. Colour and b/w illustrations, text drawings. 29x21 cm. Paper.
GBP 60.00
2005 edition of an annual digest in English on Chinese archaeology. Contains 32 scholarly articles and reports on archaeological finds. Much variety. A very useful resource and reference.
http://www.hanshan.com/index.html?i/CA2005

HEA061
Meshikova, Maria et al: SILVER WONDERS FROM THE EAST: FILIGREE OF THE TSARS.  2006. 128 pp. Numerous colour illustrations. B/w text illustrations.  24x17 cm. Boards.
GBP 25.00
Accompanies an exhibition in 2006 at the Hermitage Museum in Amsterdam that presents a fine selection from the rich collection of filigree in the State Hermitage Museum in St Petersburg. The 80 pieces from the Hermitage are augmented by 22 from Dutch collections. Among the highlights are Catherine the Great's toilet sets. The two sets, one from China and one from India, are unique and consist of a mirror and dozens of accompanying objects. All exhibits have Chinese or Indian motifs and ornaments. New research has been carried out into the extensive collection of filigree pieces assembled by Peter the Great and Catherine the Great. The original collection has been reconstructed from the many departments of the Hermitage. It consists of objects made in China (Qing dynasty), India and Indonesia specially for the European market. All objects well described and illustrated. Extraordinary objects. Much material never previously published. Essays: Menshikova: Filigree by Chinese and Indian Masters; Pijzel-Dommisse: Filigree in the Hague in the Seventeenth Century. English text. Recommended.
http://www.hanshan.com/index.html?m/HEA061

MULSK1
Mullany, Francis: SYMBOLISM IN KOREAN INK BRUSH PAINTING. Folkestone, 2006. xiv, 414 pp. Over 200 colour and b/w illustrations.  25x18 cm. Cloth.
GBP 60.00
Explores the heritage of Korean brush and ink painting, from the mid 17th century onwards to modern times. The majority of the book considers the paintings themselves, with a smaller section at the end that alphabetically explores meanings and references in these paintings. Much of this symbolism cross refers to Chinese painting.
http://www.hanshan.com/index.html?m/MULSK1

PRAEF1
Pratt, Keith: EVERLASTING FLOWER. A History of Korea. London, 2006. 320 pp. 30 illustrations. 25x16 cm. Cloth.
GBP 19.95
A new history of Korea that is both complete and readable, revealing a country which, although caught between the more familiar worlds of China and Japan, has a distinct and rich cultural identity of its own.
http://www.hanshan.com/index.html?p/PRAEF1

LARWH1
La Rocca, D: WARRIORS OF THE HIMALAYAS. Rediscovering the Arms and Armour of Tibet. New Haven, 2006. 307 pp. Colour plates throughout.  28x26 cm. Cloth.
GBP 30.00
A good and detailed contribution to this subject about which little has been published. Extensively illustrated in colour.
http://www.hanshan.com/index.html?r/LARWH1

SULMC2
Sullivan, Michael: MODERN CHINESE ARTISTS. A Biographical Dictionary. Berkeley, 2006. xx, 248 pp. 80 b/w plates. Index. 20x15 cm. Cloth.
GBP 22.95
The first biographical dictionary of its kind in any Western language, this pioneering work provides short, information-packed entries for approximately 1,800 Chinese artists of the twentieth and twenty-first centuries.
http://www.hanshan.com/index.html?s/SULMC2

WANDC2
Wang Yi'e ed: DAOISM IN CHINA. An Introduction. Warren, 2006. 189 pp. 96 b/w illustrations.  21x14 cm. Paper.
GBP 12.99
A concise introduction to this major religion that is still little-understood.
http://www.hanshan.com/index.html?w/WANDC2

CATALOGUE OF BOOKS ON CHINESE CERAMICS
We still have plenty copies of our recently issued
special catalogue of books on CHINESE CERAMICS.
This includes 976 items and is sent on request,
so please do let us know if you would like to receive a copy.

[log in to unmask]                  http://www.hanshan.com