Eric and Ross,

I believe that having each chapter contribute a member to the EB is probably unworkable for the reasons that Ross and Suzy Frechette have outlined.  However, I wonder whether or not it would be useful to create an "ARLIS/NA Council" directly underneath the board level?  I'm thinking that it might include the regional representatives on the EB and representatives from each chapter as well as any other group that is deemed appropriate.  The rmission of this group would be to advise the board and to provide that level of communication that seems to be missing.  I know of other organizations that use such a body for this kind of purpose.  The flow of information should go both ways.  I should think that the group could communicate electronically during the year and then meet at conferences.

I am brainstorming here as a member of ARLIS/NA--not as an officer.  I have not discussed this with my board colleagues, but am offering this thought as another possible solution to a very real problem.  Margaret

At 11:52 AM 7/25/2006, Day, Ross wrote:
Eric,

What an intriguing proposition. It would reduce the number of reporting layers from the membership to the Board. One wonders whether communications between the Society and its membership are sufficiently strong that appointing a liaison/go between between the Board and the membership is redundant.

It is worth keeping in mind, however, that Board appointments come with (at least at this point) an enormous commitment of time and energy on the part of each Board member. Far from merely representing the regional constituency, regional representatives are assigned a number of additional ongoing and ad-hoc Society responsibilities. It's true that increasing the size of the Board would lessen the individual burden on each Board member.

Yet one of the 'financial' responsibilities is attending the twice yearly Board meetings, a responsibility which often falls on the Board member's institution or, far too often, on the Board member herself/himself (with limited financial assistance from the Society). This has sometimes proven an impediment in finding members to serve on the Board. It would certainly be no less so with an expanded Board.

I have long advocated rethinking the role of regional representatives in the Board structure, perhaps in favor of at-large representatives with fixed duties and responsibilities. This would have the advantage of clarifying in advance for potential candidates their obligations during their term. (I haven't crunched the numbers, so I can't speak to the question of whether the regions as they now exist proportionately represent the overall membership.)

RD
-----Original Message-----
From: ART LIBRARIES SOCIETY DISCUSSION LIST [ mailto:[log in to unmask]]On Behalf Of Eric Wolf
Sent: Tuesday, July 25, 2006 10:32 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [ARLIS-L] ARLIS/NA-Local Chapter communications

Dear ARLIS/NA Board and Membership,

First of all, I would like to thank the Board for sending out the survey and giving us a chance to give some feedback.  All in all, I think the organization continues to do a great job, many thanks.

As I filled out the survey, a thought occurred to me which might improve communication between the local chapters and ARLIS North America.  This would involve changing the structure of regional board representation.  Rather than maintaining the current system of regional reps, what if each local chapter elected its own representative to the ARLIS/NA Executive Board.  While this would increase the number of representatives, it would give each chapter its own representative, and these representatives would be known to all members of the local chapter she or he represented.  She or he would also be available to the local membership (not merely the board members through formal correspondences) at local meetings and events.  This would provide a much easier conduit for information to go back and forth between the local and NA organizations and would help make local members feel they have more representation at the NA level.  This representative would effectively serve on both boards and would represent the interest of both the larger organization and the unique needs and perspectives of a specific chapter, rather than a geographic region with competing chapters and interests.  While I realize such a change would require a by-laws change, I feel it is worth consideration.

Further thoughts or input from other members is welcome!

Thanks,
EW

Eric Wolf
Director of the Library
New York School of Interior Design
170 E. 70th Street
New York, NY 10021
212-472-1500 x216

Margaret N. Webster
Director, Knight Visual Resources Facility
B-56 Sibley Hall
College of Architecture, Art & Planning
Cornell University
Ithaca, NY 14853