Dear ARLIS/NA Board and Membership,

First of all, I would like to thank the Board for sending out the survey and giving us a chance to give some feedback.  All in all, I think the organization continues to do a great job, many thanks.

As I filled out the survey, a thought occurred to me which might improve communication between the local chapters and ARLIS North America.  This would involve changing the structure of regional board representation.  Rather than maintaining the current system of regional reps, what if each local chapter elected its own representative to the ARLIS/NA Executive Board.  While this would increase the number of representatives, it would give each chapter its own representative, and these representatives would be known to all members of the local chapter she or he represented.  She or he would also be available to the local membership (not merely the board members through formal correspondences) at local meetings and events.  This would provide a much easier conduit for information to go back and forth between the local and NA organizations and would help make local members feel they have more representation at the NA level.  This representative would effectively serve on both boards and would represent the interest of both the larger organization and the unique needs and perspectives of a specific chapter, rather than a geographic region with competing chapters and interests.  While I realize such a change would require a by-laws change, I feel it is worth consideration.

Further thoughts or input from other members is welcome!

Thanks,

EW

Eric Wolf

Director of the Library