i am a grad student in art history at Pratt Institute, and i wonder if
anyone can help me identify some images.

my thesis deals with (among other things) real art referenced in the art
of the comic series _Hellboy_. there are a few images i can't pin down,
and i'd really like to get as close as possible to identifying the
actual work being referenced.

below are links to scans of the images in question, and a description of
the item i'd like to identify.

-------------
1. the painting of the woman in yellow, in the upper-middle and
upper-right panels (i feel sure it's a Sargent!):

http://pratt.edu/~janderso/scans/rhod_varcolac_002.jpg

2. the portrait of the man standing

http://pratt.edu/~janderso/scans/sod_is2_003.jpg

3. both the bust portrait and the whaling scene:

http://pratt.edu/~janderso/scans/sod_is2_004.jpg

thank you so much for any help you can offer! feel free to reply
directly to me.

--
jennifer l. anderson