From: umbrella [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Tuesday, June 27, 2006 12:32 PM
To: Rominski, Barbara
Subject: Re: ARLIS/NA origins

Dear Barbara, Genie, Maryly and others:

As founder of the organization, I am devastated by this takeover of
chapter dues.  The original concept for forming strong regional chapters
was to have a place, a forum whereby members could meet locally to
support and plan national plans for meetings, policies, etc. It was only
my vision that all chapter members must be national members.  But the
local dues were to amplify, sustain and support local programming, field
trips, refreshments, etc.  This speedy decision does not allow for
discussion, except as we are doing online, and I am thrust into dismay
to see the very bones of the organization broken for the sake of some
policy which I do not understand.  Genie really hit all my points on the
head, so rather than reiterate, I think the collection of dues, let
alone the deterioration of local memberships will be withering.
Please--as one who put in ovoer 7 years of my life in this
organization--please help it understand where it is going and divert the
journey.

Judith A. Hoffberg

Founder, first Executive Secretary, founder of ARLIS/SC and many other
chapters