How about displaying alternating selections of current periodicals in
the cases outside or at the entry of your library?  We have an area for
new books in FAL but everytime we actually do an exhibition of new
books, it's as if students are seeing this stuff for the first time and
we always get a no. of checkouts.  We have not done a user study for a
while so am not sure I would see the same pattern but certainly fewer
students come into the FAL now which would certainly result in lower
magazine use.  Most of the time, they just want the stuff on the
computer and sometimes refuse to even go into the stacks for a magazine
article that they cannot find online!  This situation happened to me
last semester and the student wasted at least 30 minutes on the computer
when she could have taken 5 minutes to walk to the stacks to find
exactly what she needed.  Am not sure what the solution is for this
attitude but certainly more and more of our journals are starting to go
online full-text but it's still a relative drop in the bucket, more like
a drop in the ocean of periodical art literature!  BJ

B. J. Kish Irvine, Ph.D.
Director, Fine Arts Library
1201 E. 7th Street
Indiana University