Dear ARLIS members,

It is only a month since our conference in Banff, and it was truly a wonderful conference. The content was outstanding and the venue was lovely. I've heard from many attendees that the venue contributed to the success of the program content. And I heard many "hallway" conversations about the topics in the sessions and workshops.

The conference planning group is working on next year's conference in Atlanta, which will be an interesting, beautiful, and invigorating location. As the conference proposals come in, we will have many great ideas to cull through and I know that the program in Atlanta will follow on the excellent programming in Banff. Make sure you send in your ideas for sessions and workshops; those ideas make the conference program excellent.

We are embarking on some new ventures, and continuing on some initiatives begun last year. The ARLIS Assessment Task Force is preparing an online survey. Be sure to participate in the survey so that we can have your input.

We are putting together a task force to look at educational efforts throughout ARLIS/NA. We are reconstituting a Task Force to look at ARLIS's needs for a membership database and web services.

The Board is drafting a package of information about Chapter affiliation that will clarify the many questions that chapter officers have regarding Chapter affiliation with ARLIS/NA. We want to be able to provide Chapters with information about why an affiliation agreement is essential, assist Chapters in recruitment, and to explain what the options are for Chapters regarding insurance. This information should go out to Chapter officers in one to two weeks.

Planning for our 2008 conference is underway, with an invitation from the Mountain West Chapter and Denver as our location.

The third ARLIS/NA - VRA Summer Educational Institute will be held at Reed College in Portland Oregon June 11 to 16, just a couple of weeks away.  The Institute is fully subscribed with 45 attendees and 16 people on the waiting list.

The work of all our committees, sections, divisions, and round tables was made evident in the annual reports submitted before we met in Banff. Annual reports are posted on the member's only portion of the ARLIS/NA web site: http://www.arlisna.org/ if you would like to see what different groups are doing.

Thank you to everyone in ARLIS for all the work that you do!

Cheers,
Ann

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Ann Baird Whiteside
Head, Rotch Library of Architecture & Planning
MIT
Room 7-238
77 Massachusetts Avenue
Cambridge, MA 02139