Thanks to everyone who provided contacts or URL's, recommended helpful German booksellers, and sent along tales of similar desperate searches by way of moral support.  As always, this list is The Best.

And if, like me, you're always looking for another good internet source, excellent advice was received from Willem Ouwerkerk, Exchange Librarian, Rijksmuseum, Amsterdam, who highly recommends.  <http://www.eurobuch.com/>.   It provides English-language search screens and turned up my quarry, "Georg Hinz und sein Stillebenwerk", directing me to a very handy URL, <http://www.booksagain.de>.  This German-language site specializes in hard-to-find books and print-on-demand.  The latter service requires patience -- the company requires a minimum of 30 orders for a title before it seeks the copyright holder's agreement and prints.  They even offer a choice of binding colour and  will print your shelf mark.  (Caveat:   Although the order screens were easy, I had trouble submitting.  Still figuring out why.  And the BooksAgain folks are on vacation this week.)
Karen

Karen McKenzie
Chief Librarian
Art Gallery of Ontario
317 Dundas St. W.
Toronto, Ontario
Canada   M5T 1G4

T 416-979-6660 Ext. 389
F 416-979-6602
www.ago.net/ago/library

VANITY, TRAGEDY & DESPAIR
All presented in a delightful assortment of colours.

ANDY WARHOL
Supernova: Stars, Deaths and Disasters, 1962-1964

Opens July 8, 2006
Members visit free.

Art Gallery of Ontario - http://www.ago.net