Dear Curators, Librarians and Scholars...

To the keepers of rare and beautiful books, artist books and archives,
we invite you, your colleagues, and students to join us for the first
biennial CODEX Foundation Symposium and Book Fair  :  The Fate of the
Art: the hand printed book in the 21st century.

As both scholars and curators of collections that treat the book with
the care and attention that works of art deserve, you more than most
are indispensable to the survival of the art and the culture of the
book. We sincerely hope that you or a member of your staff will be able
to attend.  We welcome your participation in the Foundation and solicit
your feedback.

The two great patrons of the book arts are the private collector and
the research library. The CODEX Foundation is dedicated to creating a
dialogue between the producers and the patrons of the book conceived in
its entirety as a work of art.

As Special Collections Librarians within research institutions are
increasingly called upon to become curators of the museum of the book,
providing access and developing critical dialogue, we need to
communicate our shared concepts and concerns. The CODEX Foundation
intends to facilitate the global dialogue while at the same time create
situations that will support the artists and artisans that create the
work.

To this end we have invited five speakers from five nations to address
“The Fate of the Art, The hand produced book in the 21st Century.” We
will devote breakout sessions to issues ranging from “The Poet and the
Book” and “Language, Criticism and the Book as a Work of Art” to
“Creating a Book Arts Curriculum within the Academy”

Simultaneously we have arranged for over 100 of the world's most
accomplished presses, artists, publishers, educational programs,
vendors, and artisans to present their books and services in a three
day long fair devoted entirely to the fine arts of the book.

Please visit our website for full information and registration
materials. We will be happy to send you a small poster of our great big
San Francisco Bay Area BOOKWEEK if you will only request one.

Below you will find a list of presses, artists, vendors and curators
who have already signed up . Please join us in this historic gathering.

Please check out our website for more information at
codexfoundation.org

Sincerely

Peter Rutledge Koch
for the Board of Directors The CODEX Foundation
and The Bancroft Library Press, UC Berkeley

The Codex Symposium and Bookfair registration has been moving at a
tremendous pace.

The response from the first codex mailing has been overwhelming! Within
72 hours of launching the website and after a short burst of heads-up
emails we filled nearly 1/3 of the available tables.  At the last
count, and after only 6 weeks, we are over 3/4 filled.

The presses and vendors that have reserved are of the very highest
quality....  my visits to London, Oxford and Frankfurt have paid off
and the international presses, artists, curators and vendors that have
reserved are the very ones I most wanted to see join us...

If you are planning to attend please reserve soon.

This looks to be a resounding success!

The presses, papermakers, bookbinders, book artists, organizations, and
curators that have signed up as of June 27th are:

RESERVED:

Dmitry Sayenko, St Petersburg, RUSSIA
Mikael Karasik, St. Petersburg, RUSSIA
M H Artists Books, Martha Hellion, MEXICO
Fox Ash Press, UK
Impact Press, Centre for Fine Print Research, UWE, Bristol, UK
Circle Press, London,  UK  (2 tables)
Francis McDowall / Old Stile Press UK
The Gegynog Press, UK
The Incline Press, Graham Moss, UK
Jane Kennelly, UK
J Hewitt and Sons Ltd, David Lanning  UK
The Old School Press, UK
Shanty Bay Press, Ontario, CANADA
The Barbarian Press, CANADA
Nahanni Productions Inc. CANADA
Walking Bird Press, Tara Bryan  CANADA
Les Editions Lucie Lambert  B.C. CANADA
Heavenly Monkey, Rollin Milroy,  B.C. CANADA
Verdigris Press, Mark Lintot, FRANCE
CTL Presse, Clemens-Tobias Lange, (2 tables)   Hamburg, GERMANY
Ines von Ketelhodt & Peter Malutzki, GERMANY
Carivari Press, Sabine Golde GERMANY
Hirundo Press, Caroline Saltzwedel, GERMANY
Un Libro Un Anno, Til Verclas, Hamburg, GERMANY
Edition Schwarze Seite, Anne Buessow & Eckhard Froeschlin,
NICARAGUA/GERMANY
Paperworks, John Gerard GERMANY
Galerie Druck & Buch,  Susanne Padberg  GERMANY
Markus Fahner/ Fahner&Fahner, GERMANY
Granary Books, Steve Clay, NYC, USA
21st Photography Steve Albahari  (2 tables)  MA USA
Vamp and Tramp USA  (3 Tables)
Sherwin Beach Press Chicago, USA
Gehenna Press USA
Jungle Garden Press, Carl and Marie Dern, CA USA
Turkey Press / Editions Reese, Sandra & Harry Reese, CA USA
Twinrocker Handmade Paper, USA
Peter Koch Printer/Editions KOCH  CA USA
Raven Press, Alicia Bailey, CO, USA
Priscilla Juvelis, Inc. USA
Silver Buckle Press, Tracy Honn U Wisc. Madison USA
Memory Press, Maria Pisano  NJ, USA
Jace Graf Bookbinder, Austin, Texas USA
Brighton Press, CA USA
Moving Parts Press, CA USA
Cave Papers, Minneapolis, MN USA
The Good Book Press, Santa Cruz USA
Booklyn, Brooklyn, NY  USA
Robin Price, Publisher, CT USA
Carolee Campbell, Ninja Press, CA  USA
Charles Hobson, Pacific Editions CA USA
Donna Seager Gallery, CA USA
Inka Press, & Textura Letterpress Printing, Inge Bruggeman, OR USA
Foolscap Press  CA, USA
Black Rock Press University of Nevada, Reno, USA
Quercus Press, John Carrera MA, USA
Bombshelter Press Michael Andrews CA USA
Solmentes Press, David Esslemont USA
Arion Press SF, USA
Wide Awake Garage, Daniel Kelm, MA, USA
Foolsgold Studio, Don Glaister, Bookbinder USA
Quelquefois press, Mary Laird USA
Howard Karno Books CA USA
Propolis Press, Karen Randall MA USA
Primrose Academy, William Butler PA USA/UK
Laura Davidson, MA USA
Gleeson Library Associates/ Mills College   CA USA
Kat Ran Press, Michael Russem  MA USA
Printmaker Press, Marion Baker  USA
Blackbird Press Jean Gillingwators  USA
Womens Studio Workshop Tatania Kellner & Ann Kalmbach
Les Editions Lucie Lambert, Katherine Klarman CT
Passim Editions, Wesley Tanner& Susan Skarsgard  MI
Columbia College Chicago Center for the Book and Paper Arts, JAB :The
Journal of Artsits’ Books, Virginia Art of the Book Center, Brad
Freeman, Druckwerks, Clifton Meador Books (2 tables)
Scripps College Press, Kitty Maryatt USA
Powells Books, Chicago, Brad Jonas USA  (2 tables)
The Center for Book Arts, NYC  USA

SYMPOSIUM DELEGATES  RESERVED:

Mark Dimunation, Library of Congress, Special Collections
Bruce Whiteman, Clark Library, UCLA
Carole Holden / The British Library ENGLAND, American Collections
Jane Siegel, Columbia University Library, Special Collections
Catherine Trujillo, Cal Poly, Special Collections
Elaine B Smyth, LSU, Baton Rouge LA, Special Collections
Joyce Pellerano Ludmer,  Artist Book Collection, The Getty Research
Institute
Laurie Whitehill Chong, RISD Library, Artist Books Librarian
Jennifer Schaffner UCLA Clark Library Special Collections
Terri Tibbatts CT
Anne Thompson CT
Robin Ryder, U Wisconsin, Madison, Special Collections
Cherry Williams UCLA
Asa Peavey, SFPL Book Arts Librarian
Sheryl Oring,  Booklyn
Suzanne Moore
Harriet Bart artist
Martha Chiplis, Sherwin Beach
Trisha Hummer, Sherwin Beach
Margaret McCamant, Sherwin Beach
Harry Reese, UC Santa Barbara, Dept of Art
Janis Butler Shanty Bay Press
Roberto Trujillo, Stanford, Special Collections
John Hawk, The Gleeson Library, Special Collections
Janice Braun, Mills College, Special Collections
Timothy Young, Yale U, Special Collections
Gary Strong, UCLA Chief Librarian
Lynda Claassen UCSD Special Collections
Marnie Parsons
Heinz Stefan Bartkowiak, Forum Bookart
Gretchen Dempwolf, UCSC Special Collections
Trina Jang, Luna Press
Martin Antonetti, Smith College, Special Collections

Peter Rutledge Koch/Editions Koch
2203 Fourth Street
Berkeley, CA 94710

Telephone 510 849-0673