Colleagues--

I've been following this thread with some interest, especially since the posting that generated
the discussion
had to do with local chapter affiliations (I shared the original posting via VRA/NY's local
chapter listserv).  To
answer one question posted today:  no, a similar discussion is not happening on VRA-L, but
that may only
because no one has raised the issue there.  As I currently serve ARLIS/NA as the liaison with
VRA, I'll see what I
can do to put the issue forward to VRA's membership.

I've been a member of both ARLIS/NA and VRA since about 1986, but I've been more active in
the latter simply
because that organization better met my most immediate professional needs.  While it would
indeed be less
expensive for me personally were ARLIS/NA and VRA to merge, that by itself does not seem
reason enough to
undertake the process.  Over the years, my professional affliations have changed as my
professional needs have
changed, and I imagine that will continue to be the case (I'm currently also a member of CAA
and AAM; I just
left SECAC after many years; and so on).  But I also see the points being made here that the
issues of common
interest between the two groups is growing, that what is done to meet the needs of the
memberships must
evolve as the memberships evolve--and that perhaps neither group is moving as fast as we
might like it to to
keep up with changes in our professions.

I'll post something to VRA-L today, and share with you all whatever discussion appears there.

All best,
Jenni

Jenni Rodda, Curator
Visual Resources Collections
Institute of Fine Arts
1 East 78th Street
New York, NY  10021
212/992-5872 voice, 212/992-5807 fax
[log in to unmask] OR [log in to unmask]