I think that it's a little premature to suggest new organizational
names, but I wanted to point out that not all 'art librarians' work
in setting that deal with strictly visual culture.  Some of us also
deal with information related to the built environment, city
planning, landscape architecture, construction technology, etc.
Maybe some of us are 'spatial culture' information experts?.  In any
case I agree with statements that have already been made that
'library' and 'information' are important parts of our identity.
Otherwise we'd simply want to join organizations such as CAA, AAM,
and the like.

One other thought related to the chapter issue---what if IFLA started
a campaign to try to bring in all the various ARLIS organizations
into IFLA's Art Section as regional IFLA chapters?  What does it mean
to have a 'North American' organization in an environment where much
of our communication is online?  Maybe that's too big picture of a
discussion point, but maybe our relationship to IFLA should be
examined as we consider our potential membership base.

I'm also curious to know whether we have any arlis-l subscribers in
Mexico.  If you are such a subscriber, this question is for you:
would a requirement to pay chapter dues as part of ARLIS/NA dues
encourage you to participate in chapter activities?

Best wishes,
Janine Henri