Heather,

While VRA could be a source for technical standards, it has been my
experience with other metadata professionals that both the VRA Core
and now CCO are confined fairly strictly to cultural objects (pardon
the redundancy).

Because it's also true that biologists and a host of other fields and
disciplines are creating image collections, their respective
professional associations will need to determine their own metadata
schemas or go with something like Dublin Core. This is one area where
VRA took an early lead in creating a community-based data model and
others now look to that experience.

Mark