Many of you have heard about this already, at least in New York, but I wanted to make a more general announcement so that there is no confusion. The American Folk Art Museum, where I have worked as solo librarian for about the past 5 years, has recently
decided to close its library to the public. As part of a broader retrenchment in the face of ongoing fundraising shortfalls, several staff members, including myself, have been let go.

This was quite a surprise to me, and I don’t know many details about the museum’s plans. And since they have not made a formal announcement yet, I’m not sure how much I really should say about it. I think the library will remain accessible to their own
staff, but it will likely not be available for public use at all. The lack of library staffing, professional or otherwise, will hopefully be temporary. There had already been some planning for moving the library and other educational programs out of the
main museum building, to a nearby facility. So the closure might be temporary until that is completed-—perhaps for the next two years or so.

I’m still using this email address for another couple weeks, but can also be reached at [log in to unmask] Fortunately I had registered early for the ARLIS conference, so I’ll be going to Banff on their dime. See you there!

James Mitchell