For the umpteenth time, we talked at ARLIS/NA Cataloging Problems
Discussion Group during the Banff conference about sending detailed
cataloging questions to ARLIS-L. The general consensus this year, as in
past years, was that we could use ARLIS-L, we should use it, that
cataloging questions wouldn't be that much more traffic than other
specialties (e.g., reference questions, serial swap, auction catalogs).

On the bus back to Calgary, Daniel Starr, Elizabeth Lilker, Heidi Hass,
and I were talking about cataloging problems on the list. We keep
having this conversation at CPDG and, still, few cataloging questions
make it onto ARLIS-L. Maybe we should try a cataloging list and see if
questions are more forthcoming on a specialized list. We all have
occasional questions as we're doing a title and wonder what others
would do. We won't know if a separate list would generate more
questions unless we do it.

Elizabeth and I have set up such a list at http://forums.nyu.edu  This
list will be independent of the ARTNACO list which will continue to be
used for messages directly related to NACO issues. ARLIS-CPDG is
unmoderated but you have to be a subscriber to post a message (same
settings as ARTNACO). Membership in ARLIS/NA (or VRA) is not required
but is always encouraged. The list is not limited to catalogers but the
expectation is that you can talk MARC and/or cataloging shorthand
without fear of being called geeky or obtuse.

Elizabeth has subscribed everyone who was on ARTNACO. You can manage
your subscription, including subscribing and un-subscribing, setting to
digest or index mode, by going to http://forums.nyu.edu and entering
arlis-cpdg in the box. You can also visit the list and read messages
which will be archived for a year.

Sherman Clarke - NYU Libraries