Hi Rodica,

I'm glad that you raised this. Here are my thoughts.

We are maintaining waiting lists for all workshops and tours in case
some registrants decide to drop out (however this does not mean that we
expect dropouts). I did discuss the possibility of a third workshop with
the workshop leader for the VERY popular free Workshop 12. There really
isn't time in the schedule for another workshop and our ARLIS member who
is leading the workshop also wishes to take part in the conference.

The idea of free workshops offered by ARLIS members with expertise in
specific areas built into the core of the annual conference is a new
feature at this year's conference - proposed to us by the current ARLIS
EB - growing out of the Core Competency initiative and the Strategic
Plan.. The idea was obviously a good one because these workshops are
extremely popular. Workshops most often are hands-on working with
original works or on a computer and involve interaction between workshop
leaders and participants. As such, they, by nature and to be meaningful,
require limited enrollment. This means that they will fill up quickly. I
think that we have to accept this somewhat and be grateful for the
generosity of our members'. (Not implying that you're not grateful !)

This year Workshop 12 A&B Art in Books, Workshop 8 Collection
Development, Acquisitions, and Vendor Relations, and Workshop 9
Postcards from the Edge: Reference and Instruction for Film Studies all
filled up early on and have received many additional potential
registrants. Two of the others, Workshop 10 on Resumes and Workshop 11
on Classical Education had high registrations a week ago although are
not yet full as far as I know.

Considerable effort was put into offering Workshop 7: ARLIS/NA Mentoring
Initiative: A Workshop for Mentors and Mentees - also as an outgrowth of
the Core Competency and Strategic Plan documents. For all of you
experienced professionals out there, please note that more Mentors are
required for this workshop. The Mentoring Workshop will provide you with
the necessary background skills and knowledge to be an effective mentor.
This is a great opportunity for all concerned.

I expect that there will be a question on the Banff conference
evaluation form asking for feedback on the free workshop idea for use in
future conference planning. We look forward to hearing from you on this
timely matter.

Marilyn
--
Marilyn Nasserden