Banff Perspectives #7

We are pleased to report that, to date, the Banff conference
registration is progressing well.  Thank you to those of you who have
already registered for the Banff Conference!  We encourage the rest of
you to register soon as some tours and workshops are already full.
Early-bird registration ends March 31st.

For your conference planning, we are providing you with an outline of
costs. I believe that some of you are wanting this type of information
and comparison.  This year's conference provides you with good value for
the overall costs.

As you know, the registration costs of the Banff Conference are exactly
the same as last year while workshop and tour costs are comparable to
last year.

Your colleagues have contributed to the development of an excellent
program once again.  In addition, our corporate sponsors continue to
support us generously.  Thank you! You will notice below that you will
have the option to eat inexpensively.  The bus from the Airport to your
hotel in Banff costs ~CAN $50 (US $43 today); a similar price to taxi
fares from airports to hotels for other US conferences.   You probably
have already noticed that the hotel costs are higher this year
(US$23-$40 more per night), especially with the unforeseen current
exchange rates between the US and Canadian currency.  On the other hand,
the Banff Conference is one day shorter than previous conferences.  See
details below for tips on managing your conference costs and New
York/Houston/Banff cost comparisons.

_FOOD_

BREAKFAST AND LUNCH_
_At the Fairmont Banff Springs Hotel, the Castle Pantry Cafeteria is the
least expensive place to eat.  The Castle Pantry Cafeteria is located in
the main lobby of the Hotel and is open 24 hours a day.  The Fairmont
Banff Springs Conference Centre is located adjacent to the Hotel.  The
Banff Conference Planning Committee has arranged for lunch from the
Castle Pantry Cafeteria to be available for purchase in the Conference
Centre foyer for your convenience on Saturday, Sunday, and Monday.  This
will allow you to enjoy an inexpensive lunch and have time to also visit
the Exhibits over the lunch break.  Similarly, we have arranged for
breakfast from the Castle Pantry Cafeteria to be purchased in the
Conference Centre foyer on Monday morning immediately before the Chapter
meetings.  If there is interest, we can probably arrange for breakfast
to be available each morning of the conference in this manner.

BREAKFAST in the Conference Centre (for ARLIS members only) or at the
Castle Pantry Cafeteria: US $10 or less
Breakfast buffet in the Bow Valley Grill (everything you can think of to
eat for breakfast): CDN$25 or US$21.59 (today's exchange rate from
http://www.xe.com/ucc/)

LUNCH in the Conference Centre (for ARLIS members only) or at the Castle
Pantry Cafeteria: US $10 or less
- e.g. wrap, sandwich, salad, soup or chili and beverage
Lunch buffet in the Bow Valley Grill: ~CDN$27 or US$23.32 (today's
exchange rate)

SUPPER
-  Lunch-type menu is available from the Hotel's Castle Pantry Cafeteria
in the evening as well.
-  The Hotel has several restaurants which have entries starting at ~CDN$20.
-  You will likely want to make the 20-minute walk or take the shuttle
bus (CDN$2 coin) to downtown Banff to eat supper where prices are
similar to most cities.  There are many restaurants here from
MacDonalds, to a food-fair in a mall, to five-star restaurants.  We have
linked to some restaurant guides on the Conference website under About
Banff, however note that the less expensive restaurants tend not to be
as well represented in these listings.  A restaurant guide will also be
placed in your conference registration package.

GROCERY STORES
- There is a food store on the ground level of the Fairmont Banff
Springs Conference Centre called Keller's, and Safeway (grocery store)
in downtown Banff - walking distance from the Hotel for most people.

_COST COMPARISONS US$_

*Host  *

*Travel time/Cost *

*from Airport*

*Accomm.*

*Costs*

*Reg. Fees*

*Tour/Workshop Fees*

*Food Costs and additional expenses*

New York

$US 35.00 one way, 30 - 45 min., traffic dependant

$185 + 14% s/d ($106pp)

$205 + 14% triple ($78pp)

$175.00

Tours - $25.00 - $120

Workshops comparable

Lunch and Breakfast available from <$10.00

Dinner on-site $$$$, dinner off site from $$ - $$$

Houston

$42.00 one way -30 - 45minutes, traffic dependant

$151  + 17% s/d  ($89pp)

$166 _  + 17% triple ($65pp)

$175.00

Tours $20.00 - $105.00

Workshops comparable

Lunch and Breakfast available from <$10.00

Dinner on-site $$$$, dinner off site from $$ - $$$

Banff

$43 one way, 1.5 scenic hours

	$ 232 + 11%
($129 pp)

$254 + 11%
($94pp)

$175.00

Tours $5.00 - $150.00

Workshops comparable

Lunch and Breakfast available from <$10.00

Dinner on site $$$$, dinner off site from $$ to $$$

Hope this helps.  Please let us know if we can be of assistance.

I look forward to seeing you in Banff!
Marilyn

--
Marilyn Nasserden
ARLIS 2006 Banff Conference Planning Committee