NINETEEN EIGHTY-FOUR
by George Orwell
Secker & Warburg, London, 1949
First Edition
Binding by Richard Minsky 2006
7¾" x  5" x  2½" + base
Private Collection, New York CIty

Lizard-grained cowhide, white metal foil stamped title and slogan.. LCD monitor embedded in cover with miniature video camera hidden behind leather with 1/8" hole for lens. When you hold the book you see  yourself  on the screen. The original 1949 binding is preserved within the new one. A power base recharges the battery pack that runs the system when it is off the base.  While on the base the screen power is supplied by a separate transformer to enable continuous operation when the book is on display.
It's been a while since I updated ARLIS subscribers, and with the recent posts on altered books/artists' books, I'm happy to report that I just completed work on the 1949 Secker and Warburg edition of George Orwell's Nineteen Eighty-Four, pictured above. It was purchased by subscription of a private collector. I started work on it in 2003, for the 100th anniversary of Eric Arthur Blair's birth (that was his real name). Along the way I made two prototypes and another variation on the 1949 American edition (Harcourt Brace), which was subscribed by the Yale Arts of the Book Collection.  You can see all of these, and different versions of the power base,  at
http://minsky.com/1984.htm
I Have reserved three different First Editions of Nineteen Eighty-Four for a limited  50% discount offer exclusively for the ARLIS community. This offer is only open to institutional Special Collections, not for dealers or collectors, and is only being posted this one time to the ARLIS list. This offer expires March 31, 2006, and is on a first-come-first-served basis. The three First Editions are all 1949: London (Secker & Warburg), New York: (Harcourt Brace), and Toronto (Saunders). Only one of each is available for this offer. Each will be bound in a manner similar to the one above. Please review the details at the above web page and contact me if you are interested.  Each book will be customized to the specifications of the institution that orders it, with the options described on that web page.
Meanwhile, I've been making progress cataloguing my collection of American Decorated Publishers' Bindings, 1872-1929. If you missed the exhibition, it is archived with many photos at
http://minsky.com/amdecpub.htm
Many ARLIS members are subscribers to the illustrated catalog and get the Subscribers' Newsletter, but in case you have not, there are now over 75 identified artists in the checklist, which includes about 450 different covers plus variations. Discount Subscriptions are still available for the Deluxe Edition, with a price increase set for March 15.

Dream Days
by Kenneth Grahame
Illustrated by Maxfield Parrish
London and New York: John Lane, The Bodley Head, n.d, ©1902
Black, white, red-orange, green and gold on taupe cloth
[unsigned, Maxfield Parrish cover design]

You also can subscribe online to the Limited Edition or CD-ROM Edition.  All subscriptions include access now to the Subscribers' Website, which includes all the illustrated text written to date, the complete checklist with photos of every item, a downloadable current database, and the e-mail updates in the Subscribers' Newsletter. Subscribers also get the first option to purchase duplicates and other books in private sales.

Librarians are using the checklist to pull these books out of circulation and into Special Collections, as well as to identify items suitable for their collections that may be lacking. Subscription information is at

Reliquary for the Ashes of Salman Rushdie's Satanic Verses
The First Amendment
Issued February 19, 2001
12" x 12" x 12"
from The Bill of Rights Limited Edition Set
by Richard Minsky

The Bill of Rights edition of ten bookworks is available for exhibition rental as well as purchase. It seems to become more timely every day, though it was conceived and developed before the USA PATRIOT Act was passed. If you are not familiar with it, there are installation photos and many detailed images, as well as articles and reviews from The New York Times, Fine Books & Collections, and more at

http://minsky.com/meiselshow.htm

I am also working on my 2006-2007 lecture and workshop schedule. Please contact me if you are interested in participating.

--
Richard