The French publisher Editions Grund has announced that the first-ever English edition of the celebrated Benezit Dictionary of Artists will be released in the coming weeks as a 14-volume set. Previously published in French only as Benezit: Dictionnaire des peintres, sculpteurs, dessinateurs et graveurs, and commonly known as "the Benezit," this standard reference work is being extensively updated for publication in English. Libraries should be aware that the publisher is offering the title at a special discounted price of 980 Euros to booksellers who place their orders prior to the publication's release, which is tentatively scheduled for March 2006. Upon release, the publisher's list price increases to 1,190 Euros.

We have already alerted many of our approval plan and firm-order clients of this impending deadline, and we apologize for this duplicate posting. However, as we will be ordering only enough sets to fill the advance orders we receive, we wanted to alert other libraries who might be interested in the set but were unaware of the publisher's special pre-publication offer. Worldwide Books will soon be placing our bulk order with Editions Grund, and we ask that any libraries interested in acquiring the title at the discounted price through Worldwide Books to please submit their order to us by February 17th. Please note that the publisher is offering the same terms to all booksellers, and that Worldwide is not the sole source for this publication.

A description of the title follows, and more information can be found on the special Web site the publisher has established for this title (www.benezit.com). Worldwide also has limited copies of an 8-page promotional brochure supplied to us by Editions Grund that we would be happy to forward to interested libraries upon request.

Publisher's Description:

"The Benezit has constantly changed with the times. Since 1911, it has evolved and improved, becoming both a practical and indispensable reference guide. Over the past five years, a highly skilled and dedicated team of over 150 translators, editors and art historians have been working to complete an English edition of this monumental work. More than a simple translation, it has been revised, adapted and updated to serve a wider audience. [The most recent French-only edition was released in 1999.] Reflecting the international nature of the dictionary and its readership, this English edition marks a milestone in the history of Benezit. Thousands of new entries have been added to reflect current art trends and innovations."

International in scope and covering all time periods, the publication is one of the most comprehensive listings of artists available, featuring more than 170,000 detailed biographical entries accompanied by selected bibliographies, lists of museum collections with holdings by the artists, and representative auction prices, as well as sample signatures for thousands of the artists listed.

Advance publication details:

14 Volumes
Trimmed page size: 215 x 149 mm.
20,608 pages in all
Cloth binding
ISBN 2-7000-3070-2

Please note: the Benezit Dictionary is only available in printed form (no CD-ROM or Internet version is planned).

Pre-publication price: 980 Euros
After publication the publisher's list price increases to 1,190 Euros

Due date: March 2006

Pre-publication deadline for orders placed through Worldwide Books:
February 17, 2006

Orders can be placed by contacting our Customer Service office by phone, fax or email, or through our Web site, where the title is listed as Worldwide Stock Number 119911.
email: [log in to unmask]
Phone: 800-473-8146
Fax: 607-272-0239
Web: www.worldwide-artbooks.com

Please note:

· Worldwide Books will be purchasing the Benezit on a non-returnable basis from Editions Grund and therefore will be unable to accept library returns on this title.

· Worldwide will be billed by the publisher in Euros, and because currency rates-of-exchange fluctuate daily, we cannot quote a firm U.S. dollar price at this time. However, Worldwide will honor the publisher's pre-publication price (announced as 980 Euros, or approximately $1,235 at current exchange rates), and will invoice clients at a fair and favorable U.S. dollar equivalent at the time of release.

Sincerely,

Kelly Fiske

Mr. Kelly M. Fiske, Director
Worldwide Books