TRANSCONTINENTAL PERSPECTIVES
ARLIS/NA in the Canadian Rockies
Banff, Alberta, Canada
May 5-9, 2006

Banff Perspectives #5, February 17, 2006

* PASSPORT ALERT *

ARLIS/NA President Margaret Webster advises conference attendees that
passports are now required for US citizens/residents flying to Canada,
so make sure all your travel documents are in order, and enjoy the
fantastic conference we have planned for you. For more information visit
the US government site:
http://travel.state.gov/travel/cbpmc/cbpmc_2225.html and the Canadian
government site:
http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/E/pub/cp/rc4161/rc4161-e.html#P137_3378. The
latter is a longish document, but we suggest you read: Part I. Visitors
to Canada; Personal Baggage and Entitlements; Controlled, Restricted or
Prohibited Goods; Gifts. Please note that the documents required for
entry into Canada may not be the same as those for your re-entry into
the US, but a valid PASSPORT is best in both cases.

Also visit the conference Web site www.arliscanada.ca/banff2006 and
select your workshops, program sessions, tours and special events.
Register online while the choice of events is broad. And, to help you
orient yourself, take a virtual walk in Banff by clicking on:
www.dininginbanff.com/restaurants/map.html. It reveals a charming,
bird’s eye view map of the town site of Banff, and provides a faithful
impression of its layout and the relative locations and distances of
some conference and tour venues. At the upper left you find your hotel,
the majestic Fairmont Banff Springs, located a 15 minutes’ walk from
Banff Avenue, the town’s main street (non-walkers can catch the frequent
shuttle bus into town). Across the Bow River from your hotel is the
Banff Centre on St. Julien Way, the location of Monday evening's Comic
Craze Exhibition/Reception. The Whyte Museum, Bostonian Catharine Robb
Whyte’s legacy to her beloved mountains, is at the upper end of Lynx
Avenue (parallel to Banff Avenue). Near the top centre of the map is
Sulphur Mountain Gondola, a tour venue that provides the kind of
spectacular view this map approximates. For our art mystery aficionados
who have read, or will read the book, Murder as a Fine Art, which is set
in Banff, you will be pleased to know that you can emulate the
protagonists, and have a fine dinner at the Beaujolais restaurant (#3 on
the map).

As you pack for your trip, don’t forget your PASSPORT, walking shoes,
and your enthusiasm to participate in our annual conference at this
unique location, at the best time of the year: springtime in the Rockies.

Kathy Zimon
Local Arrangements Co-Chair, Publicity
ARLIS/NA Banff 2006 Conference

--