Dear Colleagues,

Kathy Zimon is technically correct that American citizens will not be
required to have passports in order to enter Canada until December,
2006.  So they are merely recommended; however.....if you don't have a
passport you must have a "raised seal" birth certificate (not a xerox copy)
plus another piece of government issued identification that includes a
photograph (driver's license, green card, etc.)

I was denied entry into Canada when traveling to Vancouver from Seattle for
the VRA conference in 1999 and had to spent the night in Seattle to wait
for a faxed copy of my passport.  Not what I had in mind.  My travel agent
reports that every time that she flown into Canada during the last three
years that she has been asked to produce a passport.  I can confirm that
this has been the case when I have flown to Calgary both this year and last
year for ARLIS/NA related meetings.

A good place to check out the requirements is Zierer Visa Service
(http://www.zvs.com/ ).

As for me, I will be traveling with my passport.

See you all in Banff after we have all successfully crossed the
board.  Margaret

At 03:13 PM 2/21/2006, you wrote:
>TRANSCONTINENTAL PERSPECTIVES
>ARLIS/NA in the Canadian Rockies
>Banff, Alberta, Canada
>May 5-9, 2006
>
>Banff Perspectives #5, Passports, Flights, etc., Addenda, February 21, 2006
>
>Please note that in my last bulletin I should have said "passports are
>highly recommended" instead of "required," since both the Web sites I
>cited indicate that the passport requirement for US citizens/residents
>visiting Canada will not be implemented till December 2006. But please be
>sure to review the information provided so you are aware of all the
>requirements for alternate documents.
>
>And, on the good news side, Air Canada has just announced that it has
>introduced daily, non-stop flights between Calgary/New York:
>
>* Introducing new daily nonstop service from Calgary to New York (JFK).*
>We're proud to be the only carrier offering new daily nonstops from
>Calgary to New York City, starting March 1, 2006.
>
>For details see: http://www.aircanada.com/en/home.html
>
>Kathy Zimon
>Local Arrangements Co-Chair, Publicity
>ARLIS/NA Banff 2006 Conference
>
>--
>Kathy Zimon
>Co-Editor, Art Documentation
>ARLIS/NA

Margaret N. Webster
Director, Knight Visual Resources Facility
B-56 Sibley Hall
College of Architecture, Art & Planning
Cornell University
Ithaca, NY 14853