ARTstor Releases XML Gateway for Metasearching

As part of our continuing effort to increase the convenience of accessing
the ARTstor Digital Library, we have developed an XML gateway to facilitate
the metasearching of ARTstor content. Many of the more than 500
institutions now participating in ARTstor have implemented metasearch
engines that allow users to search multiple electronic resources using a
single interface and have requested that ARTstor facilitate similar
functionality. In response, ARTstor has created an XML gateway that
provides both a stable, standardized method for querying the ARTstor
Digital Library, as well as a technique for retrieving search results that
can be easily utilized by a metasearch program. Please see the XML Gateway
section in our public website for more information
(http://www.artstor.org/info/about/xml_gateway.jsp).

The ARTstor XML Gateway is currently is production with Exlibris.
Additional partners not yet in production include WebFeat, Serials
Solutions’ Central Search, and CSA. For a complete list of all our current
partners, please see our Metasearch Partner Contact Information Page
(http://www.artstor.org/info/about/xml_gateway_contact.jsp), located in the
Technology section of our website
(http://www.artstor.org/info/about/technology.jsp). If you know of an
organization or vendor that we should contact to facilitate metasearching,
please contact us at [log in to unmask]

For more information about ARTstor’s interoperability plans please
see “ARTstor: Enabling Cross-Resource Communication” in Library Hi Tech
News, No. 9 2005, pp. 21-13.

If you have any questions about these new developments, please do not
hesitate to contact User Services. We can be reached Monday through Friday
by email at [log in to unmask] or by phone at 888.278.0079. We will
also be attending the American Library Association conference this weekend
in San Antonio. Please email if you would like to schedule some time to
talk to us about the XML Gateway.