Dear Colleagues:

I am working on an article regarding art librarians and the pursuit of a PhD in art history, library science, or another area.  I am writing this email for some input from you regarding this topic.  A quick search in the ARLIS-L archives shows that there was a brief email exchange on this in 1999, but I could not find any in-depth discussion about the topic.  More commonly discussed on the listserv, including recently, has been MA programs in art history and library science (dual degree or consecutive).  However, my research for this article is related to the topic of how a PhD does or does not enhance one’s role as an art librarian.

If you have a PhD, or if you have ever thought about pursuing a PhD (or are in fact currently enrolled in a program), I ask that you take a few moments to answer the questions below.  (Note that there are two sets of questions: one set if you have a PhD, another set if you have thought about pursuing a PhD or are currently enrolled in a program).  Please copy and paste these questions and your responses into a new email and send this to me at [log in to unmask] or [log in to unmask] (the latter email address is for those who may discover AOL has mysteriously blocked their email to me, which has been known to happen).

My thanks in advance for your participation.  All responses will be kept confidential.

Sincerely,

Roberto C. Ferrari

Former art librarian at Florida Atlantic University

Current art history PhD student at CUNY Graduate Center

[log in to unmask] or [log in to unmask]

QUESTIONS FOR THOSE WITH A PHD:

1. In what area do you work (e.g. administration, reference, technical services, etc.)?

2. In what discipline is your PhD?

3. Did your pursue doctoral work before, after, or during pursuit of your MLS degree?

4. Has your PhD enhanced your career as a librarian?  As an art librarian?  Why or why not?

5. Has your PhD allowed you to present papers and publish in a way that you could not have if you did not have a PhD?

6. Do you have any regrets regarding the pursuit of a PhD?

7. Would you recommend that other art librarians consider pursuing a PhD?  Why or why not?

8. Any other comments?

QUESTIONS FOR THOSE WHO HAVE CONSIDERED GETTING A PHD OR ARE CURRENTLY ENROLLED IN A PHD PROGRAM:

1. In what area do you work (e.g. administration, reference, technical services, etc.)?

2. If you were to pursue a PhD (or are currently enrolled in a program), in what area would it be (or is it)?

3. Do you believe a PhD will enhance your career as a librarian?  As an art librarian?  Why or why not?

4. Do you believe a PhD will enable you to present papers and publish in a way that you could not if you do not have a PhD?

5. If you have not begun work towards obtaining a PhD, why are you hesitating (e.g. personal, financial, other reasons)?

6. Any other comments?