Hello all,
I received several requests to compile the responses I got to my question about seeking both an MLS and MA in Art History.  The responses are below.

Thanks for all your great suggestions.

Heather Kline
E-Resources Associate
University of Nebraska Lincoln

I have a second masters in fine art and work at an ARL li! brary at a major public university that graduate degrees in art and art history.  My second masters got me a higher starting salary because it contributes to my expertise in the field for which I was hired--I'm an art librarian with an art degree.  A second masters in English would not have benefited me in terms of my salary.  This may not be true at small liberal arts colleges, at museums or at any number of other universities but I suspect that it is true at many big public institutions where art/art history are degree programs.
I would strongly encourage you to get the MA, etiher now, or during your first job -- maybe you can get free or partial tuition reimbursement. Regardless of the type of library you intend to work in, academic, art school, museum, public, et! c., if your assumed specialization is the arts, obviously, the more you know about art and architecture history the better able you will be to answer reference questions, order books, plan services for arts professionals, and so on.
The MA is often considered a "preferred," if not a "required," qualification for many jobs, including entry level positions. I (almost) always give preference to someone who has an MA. Besides the increased knowledge the MA demonstrates, it also suggests a candidate has some intellectual problem solving skills, writing skills, an intellectual curiosity, as well as demonstrating a serious commitment to arts librarianship.
In fact, I am now working on my Ph.D....

I work in a museum research library and I do not have a second masters as of yet.  However, my undergraduate degree was in art history.  It was a real plus when I first started to at least be familiar with art research and the current art world’s topics.  And I believe that since I was already predisposed to the “Art scene” it was one of the deciding factor to my getting the position.
We are an art museum and we just hired a librarian/archivist who has a MLIS and
a BA in Art History. For our purposes, we wanted to this new hire to have a
background in art, but that didn't necessarily have to be a MA in art. Her BA was
sufficient for our needs.

My 2nd Masters is a Master of Fine Arts -- painting and sculpture
focus.
 I am an artist and a librarian. This has been an interesting
combination.  I find it useful ... I have a good grasp of contemporary art, am able
to assist studio majors and art history majors.  I do, however, have very
little free time!

I’m starting an MLS degree.  I have a Masters in Humanities—Medieval Studies, with a Bachelors in Speech Pathology/Audiology and Special Education with a minor in Art History (almost a double bachelors, but ran out of student loan funding).  And while my Masters is Humanities, the school I attended, Old Dominion University, did not offer a Masters in Art History, though I’ve had all the art history courses offered at either the undergrad or graduate level—I had a full scholarship and in order to keep it, I had to be attending at least half-time and needless to say there never were two or three medieval classes taught in any given semester, so I! took many ancient, modern, and contemporary art history and history classes.  I’m currently running the library at the Chrysler Museum of Art, the largest in the southeast with 90,000+ volumes with ONE part-time assistant.  I love the job!  I love doing the research.  And speaking from our museum’s perspective, the MA is most crucial over the MLS.  Prior to myself, there was one librarian (before my time) with an MLS, but no MA who was fired.  Then they had another “manager” with an MA, who’s wife was a librarian at ODU.  Then they hired a librarian who had worked as a cataloger here who left to go back to UVA to get her MA in Art History.  Due to family issues (she commuted from Charlottesville, VA to Norfolk each week, going home on! the weekends), she left.  I had already assumed doing all the cataloging work, both copy and original, maintaining the database, etc. and with budget cuts and staff layoffs, I was shoed into this position as “manager” since the summer of 2000.  I graduated with my MA in the spring of 2000 and was in no rush to jump back into school knowing I had to pay out of pocket and having just purchased a house.  So NOW I’m doing the MLS—I needed a break from school after ten years.  This is just one perspective, but dealing with the curators, students, and general public (generally with no background in art/art history—they half the time can’t tell a print from an original painting!) the background, the research and writing skills are fundamental to working in a museum art library and also probably an academic art library.

I think its becoming more common for many of us to have both degrees.  I think the Art History degree can be very valuable when working with art information particularly in understanding the content, the nature of the field, and  the research process for the constituents you will serve and I think it will give you an edge over other job applicants without the degree.   But keep in mind it may not have a monetary benefit.  By that I mean many academic institutions do not pay a higher salary based on the extra degree.  I can't speak for museum libraries.

My experience is limited, but I’ve volunteered in 2 art-museum libraries—the Hirsch Library at Museum of Fine Arts, Houston and the Menil Collection Library.  The staff were all very nice people to work with.  The Director of the Hirsch Library holds both the MLS and MA in Art History.  The Reference Librarian at the Menil Collection only has the MLS, with, I think, an Anthropology background at the undergraduate level.  I don’t think t! he catalogers in either of these two libraries had MA’s in Art History, though.  I think if you ever aspire to become a Library Administrator in the Museum Library world, I think the extra MA will be expected, at a minimum—and preferably in Art History.  With me, I have an MA in German Studies, but I tried to emphasize a study of the Visual Arts as part of my degree program (lots of classes on Cinema & Theory…and a strong personal interest in the paintings of Otto Dix, George Grosz, the Wiener Sezession, et. al., & the music of Kurt Weil, Arnold Schoenberg, etc)— What I’m saying is that if you get a subject Masters in another field besides Art History, if it is at least in the Humanities and the faculty are open to interdisciplinary work, you can highlight/emphasize the Arts aspect of that field, and I think that would be noticed and taken into account by a prospective Art Library employer.&nbs! p; In Academic Libraries, by contrast, I’ve noticed more and more that a 2nd Subject Masters is very much expected, and common.  I think MLS-only candidates are finding it increasingly hard to find positions with academic libraries, and probably have more success finding work in a corporate, public, or school library setting.  Not that the 2nd Subject Masters has to necessarily apply directly to one’s work—in my position, I am actually not in an Art Library, but rather, a Marine Sciences/Maritime library, so right now I feel like a fish-out-of-water (pardon the pun), sort of, since I have a humanities rather than a scientific/technical background, and my institution’s curriculum is very heavily scientific/technical in nature.   I got my subject Master’s FIRST, was too burned out/disillusioned to press on for the PhD, tried teachin! g, tried corporate office work, and then went back to Library School.  If I had gotten an MLS first, I think I would have a harder time deciding to go back to graduate school for a subject master’s.  It’s a good deal easier to do the subject master’s first full-time, then get a job (preferably as a paraprofessional library worker…tech services or public services)--and do the MLS on a part-time basis while working.  I have a friend at UNT who has the MLS and is working on getting his MA in (military) History…it’s slow going (he’s also working 2 part time jobs) and he admits sometimes it’s hard to keep up the motivation; he has the unusual position of working as an ILL clerk but already has an MLS degree.  Still, I think you would need to stay connected in some way to the library world while working on a non-MLS master’s, to remind yourself why you’re ! doing it, and to keep your motivation high, either through working part-time in a library or volunteering in one.

My opinion is that it is essential that an art librarian has at least a master's degree in art history.  One cannot begin to know the breadth of art historical information and understanding of the resources without a thorough background.

I'm  not an art librarian, so can't answer your basic question.
However, having a subject MA beyond the MLIS can be very valuable for your
career.  You are more likely to be hired, although perhaps not with any increase
in salary. The Univ. of California system *requires* a 2nd MA in order to be
hired for an entry-level job. Many other universities require a 2nd MA for
promotion. You'll have more credibility with univ. teaching faculty if you
have a subject MA - ditto if the MA is the same subject as the business
or government agency if you apply to a special library. Another advantage
of earning the 2nd MA *now* is that, if required/desirable later, you won't
have to do it while working!

I have an MA in Art History and I find it very useful. They don't
require an MA at the Ryerson & Burnham Libraries but it is preferred
and employees without an MA tend to get one during the course of
their tenure here.
It depends on what your! ultimate goal in the Library is.  I have both and I am certain that I moved up much more quickly because of it.  However, I always had the goal to be doing reference/research/collection development and ultimately become director.  If you are primarily interested in technical services, a second master’s in art history isn’t so important.  In that case, the reading knowledge of several languages would be more useful.  As for job descriptions, of course an employer will ‘desire’ a subject master’s for certain positions.  They don’t always end up getting it in the person they hire since there are many other factors to weigh as well.  Of course a big factor these days is the cost of the additional degree these days.  If I had to go into debt to do it, I might not.  Luckily for me, it was a lot cheaper “back in the day”.  Personally, I found it much easier that I did both degrees before I started working full-time.  I have seen many people struggle with it.  I am glad I made the choice to go straight through.

I have both only because I needed to know more about art history. If you are going to work in a museum library it helps to know what! you are talking about to people who are trying to learn about the subject. Nobody here ever told me that I needed to get the M.A. to advance since my expertise is supposed to be libraries and I have that degree. In fact that is what the head of my dept. said to me years ago.

I got my Masters in Art History after my MLIS and it certainly helped me get the
job of librarian at the University Art Museum [location withheld]. However, alas, a
couple of years ago many university librarians were set free, me among them (no
librarian at the Art Museum any more), so I guess one must! weigh the glory (and
costs) of two masters degrees vs. the realities of the working world. I
don't regret it- loved the courses! It didn't hurt when I got my current job as an archivist either...

I did the dual degree program at Pratt.  Art library positions are few and far between,
in many cases, and there is much more competition than for say, a science librarian
(and you probably need to be willing to relocate for the right job).  The extra degree
gives you that extra edge, and can bring a higher salary, especially in academic
libraries.  Academic positions often require a second master's too, although it is
certainly possible to work in art libraries without it. Visual resources positions
(slide curators) often require a background in art history if you decide to go that
route.  I'd say a good 50% or more of ARLIS members (more, probably) have
master's in art history or another field.  It's alot of s!
 chool,
 however, and costly.
If you can get the MLS and have an employer pay for the art history, that seems
the way to go (I didn't do that).

I am in the same boat that you are.  I have a BA in Art History, an MA in Medieval Studies, and am currently finishing my MLS.  The jobs that I will want one day and have seen advertised on here and the ExLibris list typically require an MLS plus a gr! aduate degree in your area of specialization (ie. Art History, Music, Literature, etc), whatever might be appropriate for the job you would like.

If you want to be an art librarian, an MA in Art History can only help you in the future.  I have run into too many "art" librarians who just have an MLS but no real knowledge about art history.  You need more than an efficient use of databases and reference sources to be an effective art librarian.

I have worked in both museum and academic libraries.  I got my MLS af! ter completing my PhD in art history.  I would say that you can find entry level work without the additional masters in Art History, but you will have trouble rising to middle and senior level positions without it.  So, you might want to work on a second MA concurrently with holding an entry level job, but sooner or later in your career, you will want it.  I feel that having my advanced degree when I began my career in art librarianship greatly accelerated the pace of promotions, responsibility and compensation.  I actually took my first professional job before I finished my MLS (as an original cataloger in Italian language at the Frick Art Reference Library of the Frick Collection in New York), was promoted from Assistant to Associate within 2 ½ years and took my current job as Director of the Library at! the New York School of Interior Design one half a year later.  I would strongly urge you to consider the second degree as it definitely helps fast track your career.

I have both....  When I was an undergrad, wanting to do this, most slide curators had the MA.  By the time I was finishing up the MA in art history, it seemed to have shifted towards a favoring of those candidates with an ML(I)S.  This was a very unscientific observation of a job seeker, though.   My current position technically requires the MLS with "additional graduate course work" in Art History.  I'm! not sure what that actually, really means as it was added after I came here.  My predecessors had no art history degrees.  Perhaps the difference is that our image collection is part of the library, rather than a departmental collection?  I wouldn't be surprised to find that departmental collections prefer the art history degree, while library collections prefer the MLS....I personally would hope that you could get a job at an institution that would PAY for you to get the subject area masters as my greatest regret is my student loan debt.

I'm a Visual Resources Curator.  I completed my Master's in Art
 History
almost twenty years ago.  Three years ago, I decided that I needed to
update my skills to keep up with new technology and practices in the field,
and went back to school part-time for my MLIS, which I completed last  spring.  I
must say, part of my decision was predicated by the fact that I have noticed many more position descriptions requiring both degrees, and as VRC positions
are becoming more precarious, I feel better having them both in case anything ever happens to my job.  That said, I think that for what Visual Resources curators are generally paid, it is unfair for institutions to require both degrees.  I think academic librarians generally earn more than Visual Resources curators
(which is certainly the case here, which is starting to gall me even
more now that I have one more Master's degree than most of them!), and I
think the more subject knowledge you have, the bette!
 r, both
 for your patrons
and for your job satisfaction.  So if you can afford it and have the energy, I'd say go for it.  Personally, I enjoyed my Art History graduate experience a whole lot more than the Library Science one.

I have both an MA in Art History and an MLS.  When applying for academic library jobs five years ago, I saw many job descriptions that either asked for a second masters degree in art or art history, or listed it as a "preferred" qualification.  They made a point here at the MSU libraries of telling m! e that it made me a stronger candidate.  I can't speak for museum libraries, but I doubt that having additional subject knowledge in the discpline will hurt!  If you are able, I'd encourage you to strongly consider getting the second masters degree.

I have both. It wasn't required for my position, but it certainly helped.

My undergraduate degree is in English, and I do not have a 2nd master's
degree.  I have a theory that, when applying for jobs at the more prestigious academic institutions, that 2nd master's might move your resume over to the interview pile, but that's only a guess.  I always thought that the ideal situation for a librarian starting out would be to work at an institution where they could earn that 2nd master's degree for free by using one's tuition benefits.  That would depend on the conditions of the master's program, of course, but if I wanted a 2nd master's I'd certainly seek out such a situation.  As to how it might help you do your job, it's hard to say.  Depends on your patrons (primarily undergrad?  master's?  PhD?  faculty doing research?).  Serving what is primarily an undergraduate population, I can't say I've ever felt at a loss by not having an art/art history educational background.  I use my English major education every day.  And at my age, and after 17 years of experience, it's not hard to know more than a 20-year-old in terms of doing research - and I mean that in the nicest way!

At the Univ. of Hawaii, librarians and archivists are faculty. You need
2nd MA for a promotion, which comes with a pay raise. The 2nd MA is a
ticket to apply - you still have to be performing well, be a leader, etc. to actually get promoted.

I would not consider applying for an academic library position without a second masters degree.  I strongly recommend a course in Art Librarianship if one is offered.  With only an undergraduate degree in Applied Art/Art History, I benefited greatly from the mentoring by colleagues in my first position in the Music & Art Dept. at a large public library, my first pos!
 ition,
 and membership in ARLIS, with its many resources. On-the-job-training is acceptable for certain employers who cannot afford to hire more highly qualified candidates.  I would not have been qualified for my current position without the previous experience at the public library.  It depends on what other skills and experience you bring to the table.   I had already had a career in business management before the career change to librarianship.

1) when a lot of us entered the field ofart librarianship, there pretty much was no field of art librarianship--of course it has always been aspecialty for older museums and universities, but the growth of the field has been huge over the past decade or so, with the advent of digital stuff.  that said, the normal reference many of us do in undergraduate institutions, which have limited budgets and therefore commitment to this digital material, is still predominantly book related. i was an engish major, and find that base has been enormously helpful at this level-(undergraduate, liberal arts college).
2) for librarians at state institutions, the possibility of tenure might exist, but for the vast majority of us at small private colleges, that is not the case. we also don't have the same kind of tuition benefit  simply because our institutions don't offer masters degrees, so the only courses available to us are those which would lead to a BA.  i don't know if my college would pay for me to get a second masters at another local univer!
 sity, but
 I doubt it..they make us pay for credit courses!!!
(admittedly a tiny fee, but still....)  i have audited a gazillion art history classes, and know this isn't the same as actually taking the course for credit, but it has still been invaluable, especially in working with the students from new courses--recently, i try to sit in on those new subjects which might not be considered part of the classical courseload(african art, african American art, latin american, etc..you get my drift). it 's been great to be a part of this growth in the field.  in response to what ellen said about the pay increases at her institution, that is another thing that is not available at private colleges. but I won't get started on that!!!

Yahoo! Photos
Ring in the New Year with Photo Calendars. Add photos, events, holidays, whatever. __________________________________________________________________ Mail submissions to [log in to unmask] For information about joining ARLIS/NA see: http://www.arlisna.org/join.html Send administrative matters (file requests, subscription requests, etc) to [log in to unmask] ARLIS-L Archives and subscription maintenance: http://lsv.uky.edu/archives/arlis-l.html Questions may be addressed to list owner (Judy Dyki) at: [log in to unmask]