Hi, here's another group of responses about Albers. Thanks
to all of you for your input. Many ARLIS-ers have
expressed an interest in the responses, so I gather we are
all struggling with these issues. Our situation at UNM is
compounded by the fact that our seating space is extremely
limited, and we do not have a classroom in our library
facility. In the past we've had plates stolen by a patron
seated at a table right in front of our circ desk! Anyway,
here goes...

-----------

I know exactly what you mean... Although our copy has
always been kept in the Art Library office, when, before
my time, we were located in the Art School building
faculty members would borrow it "for the day" taking it to
their class and some of the plates were missing at the
time I was hired in the "distant" 1979. From then on the
teachers would take their students to the reading room in
the library (big tables, plenty of space) and nothing
untoward happened anymore. In 1989 the Art Library was
moved to the main building and we did not have a separate
reading room anymore. It got to be a little messy and
cramped but still the Albers got used as a reserve book
with the signature of the teacher or an ID that we would
keep until the item was returned. Now that we have a
Computer classroom it is much more comfortable for
everybody to take the Albers and the class there. The
instructor has the responsibility to supervise his/her
students during the class and takes back the volumes to
the office that is open at the time (during the day to the
Art office, at night to Reference). The individuals still
borrow against their ID, but must remain at carrels within
our sight... We have not lost a single plate in the past
25 years. I curious to see what other libraries do too...

-----------

from a bookseller:
You and many others have a problem, indeed. I sold at
least five copies at a couple of hundred dollars each when
this great work was brand new, and I have had several
since. I think it was the last one that went for $2500 or
more a good many years ago to a major university to solve
exactly this issue. They were going to keep it in special
collections, untouched, so their older copy could be used.
Interaction of Color demands a hands-on encounter from any
serious student, and that is exactly what will destroy it
for future students.

If I were in your unenviable position, I would make it
available with severe limitations. If you have room in the
library to accommodate the class, I would let the teacher
do one or a few sessions there under strict supervision
with no direct handling of the images. If not, then a
trained library employee could accompany the book for each
session (and doubtless learn a good deal in the process).
The faculty member might have to revise or reorganize
lectures to condense the direct use of the Albers to the
smallest possible number of separate meetings. To just
turn it over to the faculty member would be unacceptable,
even if it were returned after every class. That,
doubtless, is how you lost the folders that are already
missing.

By the way, I would not take that $1,000 price for a
single folder too seriously. It's not even by Albers, and
some dealers can, and do, ask whatever silly price pops
into their heads. I have never seen the German reprint of
1973, but it, too, is out of sight. The digital version is
worthless for understanding Albers' subtle distinctions.
Monitors vary from one to the next, and the screen light
is transmitted, rather than reflected off those velvety
surfaces.

---------

from my experience as an art school student and librarian,
neither the paperback nor the CD work like the matte,
silk-screen original. especially the CD. color is tricky.
color on screen is super-tricky.

-------------

On Thu, 12 Jan 2006 12:17:56 -0700
  Nina K Stephenson <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> No, this isn't an offer of a free duplicate to share!
> :-)
>
> We're trying to figure out how to protect yet provide
>access to the original edition of Albers' classic color
>study (Yale, 1963). We've discovered that the set is now
>selling for upwards of $6,000. One vendor is selling one
>folder from the set for $1,000. We're already missing a
>few plates. One faculty member has asked to use the set
>in the classroom this semester for a color class. Even
>using it for in-library consultation is problematic
>because we don't have a secure special collections type
>reading room. Transfering it to our special collections
>library would severely limit access by studio artists,
>let alone his color class.
>
> Any ideas or strategies to share??? I can compile
>
> Nina

Nina Stephenson, Art & Photography Librarian &
Collection Development Manager
Fine Arts Library  MSC05 3020
1 University of New Mexico
Albuquerque, NM  87131-0001  USA
ph: (505) 277-0679  email: [log in to unmask]