Hanshan Tang Books New List 131 + Stock List
Records for our new List 131
have been added to our web site at:
     http://www.hanshan.com

The printed version of list 131 will be mailed out shortly.
PDF VERSIONS (Portable Document Format)
of our catalogues are also available on the site.

This list contains an unusually large number of new and recently
published titles - 398 items. We have sourced many new titles
from East Asia. Included with the list there is a selection of
916 items from our more general stock. This is included as a
supplement with the printed catalogue and can be downloaded in
pdf format.

Please also see below for records of a few choice items.

If you did not get a copy of our *previous* catalogue 130, then you may have fallen
off the list for mailing of the printed version. Please get in touch if you
would  like to be reinstated. If you did get 130 and you have been active, the paper
copy of 131 will be on its way to you in due course. (Unless you have recently
asked to receive electronic notification only.)
---------------------------

A FEW GOOD NEW BOOKS JUST IN

ALETL1
Alexander, Andre: THE TEMPLES OF LHASA. Tibetan Buddhist Architecture from the 7th to the 21st Centuries. Tibet Heritage Fund Conservation Inventory, Vol. 1. Chicago, 2005. 335 pp. Over 200 colour illustrations and numerous b/w architectural drawings and plans.  28x23 cm. Cloth.
GBP 40.00
Available
A comprehensive and well-illustrated survey of historic Buddhist sites in the Tibetan capital of Lhasa.
http://www.hanshan.com/index.html?a/ALETL1

CLAJT1
Clarke, John: JEWELLERY OF TIBET AND THE HIMALAYAS. London, 2004. 128 pp. Bibliography, index. 26x22 cm. Cloth.
GBP 24.95
Available
Presenting the traditional jewellery of the region in all its splendour, this book tells the fascinating stories of trade, conquest, faith and the fortune that lie behind it. This beautifully-illustrated book contains newly commissioned photography and draws on the finest examples from the V&A and other British collections, both public and private. It brings into the spotlight one of the richest decorative traditions of the world.
http://www.hanshan.com/index.html?c/CLAJT1

EARCC1
Earle, Joe: CONTEMPORARY CLAY. Japanese Ceramics for the New Century. Boston, 2005. 101 pp. Colour plates throughout.  24x23 cm. Paper.
GBP 16.95
Available
Published in conjunction with an exhibition at the Museum of Fine Arts, Boston. Extremely accomplished ceramics by contemporary Japanese masters.
http://www.hanshan.com/index.html?e/EARCC1

EDICR1
Edison, Victoria and James: CULTURAL REVOLUTION POSTERS AND MEMORABILIA. Atglen, 2005. 176 pp. 495 colour plates throughout. 28x22 cm. Boards.
GBP 35.00
Available
Extensive reference work - the first of its kind - illustrating and giving price guides for a field of collecting that is growing in importance for artists, collectors, historians and students of Chinese culture.
http://www.hanshan.com/index.html?e/EDICR1

GGMGB4
Gugong Ceramics Research Centre ed: GUGONG BOWUYUAN CANG GU TAOCI ZILIAO XUANCUI. (Highlights of Ceramic Research Material in the Collection of the Gugong Museum). Beijing, 2005. 255; 353 pp. Colour plates throughout both volumes.  2 vols. 31x24 cm. Wrappers.
GBP 100.00
New stock due shortly
Edited by the Gugong Ceramics Research Centre, this is a fine work drawing on the collections of the Gugong Museum and, in particular, the former imperial holdings. Seeks to provide a survey of representative Chinese ceramics across the dynasties. Volume One shows typical pottery and porcelains dating from the Shang to the Ming dynasty. 229 pieces are shown, the majority Ming. Volume Two entirely comprises examples of representative Qing dynasty porcelain from all reigns. 318 examples are shown, the majority from the Kangxi, Yongzheng and Qianlong reigns. Both volumes illustrated throughout with fine colour plates, a good number of pieces being shown in multiple views. Text in Chinese.
http://www.hanshan.com/index.html?g/GGMGB4

GGMQY1
Gugong Ceramics Research Centre ed: GUGONG BOWUYUAN CANG QINGDAI YUYAO CIQI. (Qing Dynasty Imperial Ceramics in the Collection of the Gugong Museum). Gugong Bowuyuan Cang Qingdai Yuyao Ciqi. Beijing, 2005. 318; 449 pp. Colour plates throughout.  2 vols. 31x23 cm. Wrappers.
GBP 125.00
New stock due shortly
Volume One (in two parts) of a series on imperial Qing ceramics in the collection of the Gugong Museum Beijing. The series will cover (in an unspecified number of volumes) the entire Qing dynasty from Shunzhi to Xuantong. Part One comprises a 51 page introduction and then covers the Shunzhi and Kangxi reigns. Only 4 Shunzhi examples are shown, together with 116 examples from the Kangxi reign. Part Two is entirely devoted to the Yongzheng period and illustrates 211 ceramics. Shows representative examples and many superb porcelains - the cream of the collection. All ceramics are illustrated in fullpage colour plates, base marks are shown and a good number are depicted in multiple views. The work is produced to a high quality and is illustrated throughout. Text in Chinese.
http://www.hanshan.com/index.html?g/GGMQY1

GGMC01
Gugong Museum: JIN TANG LIANG SONG HUIHUA: RENWU FENGSU. (Paintings of the Jin, Tang and Song Dynasties- Figure Painting and Folk Customs). Complete Collection of Treasures Gugong, 1. Shanghai, 2005. 24 pp. text and 288 pp. colour plates and captions. 29x22 cm. Boards.
GBP 60.00
Available
Covers Song painting in the collection of the Gugong Museum, Beijing, depicting figures and showing scenes from everyday life. A beautiful work showing many exquisite works. Illustrated throughout in colour. Detailed texts in Chinese plus brief English captions. Just published. Recommended.
http://www.hanshan.com/index.html?g/GGMC01

GGMC04
Gugong Museum: YUANDAI HUIHUA. (Paintings of the Yuan Dynasty). Complete Collection of Treasures Gugong, 4. Hong Kong/China NYP. 28 pp. text and 292 pp. colour plates and captions. 29x22 cm. Boards.
GBP 60.00
Available
Volume 4 in this excellent series shows Yuan dynasty paintings in  the collection of the Beijing Palace Museum with many important works of the period. Includes works by all the Yuan masters - Zhao Mengfu, Ni Zan etc plus other fine examples by lesser-known and anonymous artists.  This publication is also highly valuable for the extensive quality illustrations of accompanying colophons, etc. Illustrated throughout in colour. Detailed texts in Chinese plus brief English captions. Just published.  Recommended.
http://www.hanshan.com/index.html?g/GGMC04

ZZHYK1
Han Yangling Museum ed: HAN YANGLING KAOGU CHENLIEGUAN. Han Yangling Museum. Beijing, 2004. 153 pp. Colour plates throughout.  29x22 cm. Wrappers.
GBP 35.00
Available
Yangling is the tomb of the Western Han Jingdi Emperor and his wife. Located north of Xi'an, the tomb yielded hundreds of impressive and distinctive long-legged tomb figurines plus numerous other artefacts. This is a comprehensive survey of the treasures from the tomb now held in the adjacent Han Yangling Museum together with a survey of the tomb and the surrounding area. Illustrated throughout in colour. Dual texts in Chinese, English and Japanese.
http://www.hanshan.com/index.html?h/ZZHYK1

IWAJH1
Iwatate, M. & Nakasa, T: JAPAN HOUSES.  2005. 240 pp. Colour plates throughout. B/w drawings.  30x22 cm. Cloth.
GBP 37.00
Available
A comprehensive exploration of modern Japanese architecture. Presents 28 of the country's finest contemporary houses. Well-illustrated.
http://www.hanshan.com/index.html?i/IWAJH1

KNACH1
Knapp, Ronald: CHINESE HOUSES. The Architectural Heritage of a Nation.  2005. 288 pp. 300 colour photographs. B/w architectural drawings and plans.  30x22 cm. Cloth.
GBP 45.00
Available
Focuses on 20 well-preserved traditional homes presenting examples from various metropolitan areas throughout China together with rural examples. Includes several Chinese dwellings in Southeast Asia.
http://www.hanshan.com/index.html?k/KNACH1

MWT004
Kwan, Simon: THE MUWEN TANG COLLECTION SERIES VOLUME 4: CHINESE INKSTONES. Zhongguo Gu Yan. Muwen Tang Collection Series Vol. 4. Hong Kong, 2005. 299 pp. 142 pp. colour plates. 30x23 cm. Cloth.
GBP 70.00
Available
Describes and illustrates (mostly in fullpage colour plates) 110 extremely fine examples of Chinese inkstones in the Kwan collection. The inkstones date from the Western Han through to the Qing and the majority of material is early. Near dual detailed texts in English and Chinese.
http://www.hanshan.com/index.html?k/MWT004

MGU053
Musee Guimet: TRESOR D'ART DU VIETNAM: LA SCULPTURE DU CHAMPA VE-XVE SIECLES. (Art Treasures from Vietnam: Champa Sculpture from the Fifth to Fifteenth Centuries). Paris, 2005. xxvii, 373 pp. Numerous b/w and colour plates. B/w text illustrations.  29x22 cm. Boards.
GBP 55.00
Available
Catalogue of an exhibition at the Musee Guimet of Champa sculpture from Vietnam. Includes loans from the Da Nang and Ho Chi Minh Museums together with loans from the Musee Guimet de Lyon, the Musee Rietberg and, of course, examples from the Guimet itself. 96 extremely fine examples dating from the 5th-15th centuries are illustrated and fully described. A very fine survey of the subject. Extensive descriptive texts in French.
http://www.hanshan.com/index.html?m/MGU053

WU0BF1
Wu Hung: BODY AND FACE IN CHINESE VISUAL CULTURE. Cambridge, 2005. 448 pp. A number of b/w illustrations.  30x22 cm. Cloth.
GBP 50.00
Available
A compilation of essays on this theme by numerous scholars. In four sections: The Religious Body; Body Imagery and Self-Representation; Body-Face Interactions in Portraiture; Performing the Body and Face.
http://www.hanshan.com/index.html?w/WU0BF1

WU0RB1
Wu Hung: REMAKING BEIJING. Tiananmen Square and the Creation of a Political Space. London, 2005. 272 pp. Colour and b/w illustrations.  30x22 cm. Paper.
GBP 19.95
Available
Wu Hung grew up in Beijing and here offers a vivid account of Beijing's reinvention, giving new insights into the city's history. The study focusses on Tiananmen and its significance over the years.
http://www.hanshan.com/index.html?w/WU0RB1

YAUSC1
Yau Hok-wa ed: SHIMMERING COLOURS: MONOCHROMES OF THE YUAN TO QING PERIODS: THE ZHUYUETANG COLLECTION. 'Wuse Qiongxia' Zhuyuetang Cang Yuan Ming Qing Yidaoyou Ciqi. Hong Kong, 2005. 264 pp. Colour plates throughout. Appendixes, chronology, bibliography. 28x22 cm. Cloth.
GBP 60.00
Available
Catalogue published to accompany an exhibition of 178 pieces of Jingdezhen monochromes at the Art Museum, University of Hong Kong. All pieces are illustrated in full colour and the captions are supplemented by an essay by Peter Y. K. Lam. Dual text in English and Chinese.
http://www.hanshan.com/index.html?y/YAUSC1

YOUAJ1
Young, David & Michiko: THE ART OF THE JAPANESE GARDEN.  2005. 176 pp. Illustrated throughout. 28x21 cm. Cloth.
GBP 25.00
Available
Examines the development and traditions of Japanese gardens plus influences from China and Korea and their integration. Features a number of the most notable gardens of Japan. Illustrated throughout.
http://www.hanshan.com/index.html?y/YOUAJ1

CATALOGUE OF BOOKS ON CHINESE CERAMICS
We still have plenty copies of our recently issued
special catalogue of books on CHINESE CERAMICS.
This includes 976 items and is sent on request,
so please do let us know if you would like to receive a copy.

[log in to unmask]                  http://www.hanshan.com