Dear colleagues,

Do any of you have a policy on deaccessioning volumes from your rare books holdings or special collections (e.g. archives or artist books) -- either a separate policy or as part of your collections development policy?  Has there been any discussion at your institution of the need for such a thing?  Alternatively, are such library holdings covered by your museum's deaccessioning policy?  I'm thinking not of weeding but of a rigorous process that would be analagous to that followed by museums for divesting works of art.

I'd appreciate hearing your comments on this topic or, better yet, seeing examples of a policy.

Thanks in advance for sharing your wisdom!

Karen McKenzie
Chief Librarian
Art Gallery of Ontario
317 Dundas St. W.
Toronto, Ontario
Canada   M5T 1G4

T 416-979-6660 Ext. 389
F 416-979-6602
www.ago.net/ago/library

Don't miss your last chance to see
CATHERINE THE GREAT
Arts for the Empire - Masterpieces from The State Hermitage Museum, Russia

Closing January 1!
Beat the Crowds - visit Thurs. & Fri. until 9 pm.

Purchase tickets on-line at:
http://shop.ago.net

Art Gallery of Ontario - http://www.ago.net