i was about to write to respond to this subject,
when i saw sara's response--so no need for me to
repeat what she said, but i might add a coupleof
things - 1) when a lot of us entered the field of
art librarianship, there pretty much was no field of
art librarianship--of course it has always been a
specialty for older museums and universities, but
the growth of the field has been huge over the past
decade or so, with the advent of digital stuff.
that said, the normal reference many of us do in
undergraduate institutions, which have limited
budgets and therefore commitment to this digital
material, is still predominantly book related. i too
was an engish major, and find that base has been
enormously helpful at this level-(undergraduate,
liberal arts college).

2) for librarians at state institutions, the
possibility of tenure might exist, but for the vast
majority of us at small private colleges, that is
not the case. we also don't have the same kind of
tuition benefit  simply because our institutions
don't offer masters degrees, so the only courses
available to us are those which would lead to a BA.
i don't know if my college would pay for me to get a
second masters at another local university, but i
doubt it..they make us pay for credit courses!!!
(admittedly a tiny fee, but still....)
i have audited a gazillion art history classes, and
know this isn't the same as actually taking the
course for credit, but it has still been invaluable,
especially in working with the students from new
courses--recently, i try to sit in on those new
subjects which might not be considered part of the
classical courseload(african art, african american
art, latin american, etc..you get my drift). it 's
been great to be a part of this growth in the field.
increases at her institution, that is another thing
that is not available at private colleges. but i
won't get started on that!!!

interesting topic for the list.

anne

Anne Haas