B.J. Irvine thought some of you out there would be interested in more
details about our successful book sale Nov. 4 & 5th; so here you are~

An art collector had donated his private art library to us before he
died, 5 years ago-about 2,000 marvelous books in 60 cartons. No one had
ever had time to open the gift until this year.  We (volunteers & I)
finally began opening the boxes several months ago, and sorted them out.
We absorbed about 500 into our collection, and put the remainder in the
sale.  Magnificent collection!  Most books in "fine" condition-many
rare, or uncommon. We also sold other withdrawn books or duplicates etc.

The books were searched on used book internet sites, and we priced them
at 50% of the lowest price for comparable condition, figuring that would
appeal to the dealers. It did.  I sent notes to dealers in the Santa
Barbara, Ventura, Los Angeles area a few weeks ahead, with follow-up
reminders.  About 10 or 15 came and loaded many cartons, in addition to
the general public etc.  The last 2 hours on the 2nd day we sold
everything at half-price, and gave away certain items.  The dealers
accounted for $8,000 of the sales. Some drove up from L.A., 100 miles
away, which shows their interest.

We still have a signed copy of Cecelia Beaux's memoirs, which we offered
at full price .  No takers.  I think it will sell on ebay to collectors
back east.  Also a couple of "non-art" signed books by Ronald and Nancy
Reagan, also destined for ebay.

            The sale was set up in one of our larger conference rooms.
Two cashiers (each with an assistant) and the Rare Books Table & clerk
were in the museum lobby.

           We couldn't have done it without a most marvelous bunch of
volunteers.  And at the sale, some permanent staff members, including
our CFO, volunteered for a couple of hours at the various stations,
(cashiering, Rare Book Table, general helper).  We opened the sale to
the museum staff a half-hour early. The sale was posted as 11AM to 5PM
Friday and Saturday. Two-thirds of the sales dollars were Friday-mostly
dealers. Saturday was mostly general public, and some dealers returned,
especially to harvest the half-price books at the end. About 200 books
left.

            If anyone would like more details (publicity, set-up etc.),
please contact me.

Heather Brodhead, Librarian

Constance & George Fearing Library

Santa Barbara Museum of Art

1130 State Street

Santa Barbara, CA 93101

805-884-6451   Fax: 805-966-6840    www.sbma.net

Library is open to the public: T.,W.,Th. 1-5 PM

Librarian's hours: T.,W.,Th. 10 AM-12 Noon;1-5:30 PM