The ARLIS/SC Election Committee is pleased to announce the following slate
of candidates for the 2006 Executive Board. The slate has been unanimously
approved by the ARLIS/SC Executive Board and is now subject to a period of
comment to commence from now until December 5, 2005. At the end of that
period, if no comment is received, the slate will be considered approved by
acclamation.

Kathleen Svetlik-Vice Chair/Chair-Elect

BIO:

Kathleen Svetlik graduated with her MLIS from UCLA in 2004. She is currently
the solo librarian at the American Academy of Dramatic Arts in Hollywood,
housed in an old Charlie Chaplin bungalow.  Previously, Kat worked at the
Getty Research Institute as a Research Assistant for Joyce Ludmer on the
"Artists' Turn to the Book" exhibition, Summer 2005, and as a Reference
Librarian at the Libraries of the Claremont Colleges.  As a student she
worked for Anne Gilliland as a Graduate Student Researcher on the MOAC 2
Evaluation (Museums and the Online Archive of California) for which she
presented a paper at the International Conference for Digital Librarians in
Delhi, India.  In a previous life, she worked at Disney Feature Animation
and Warner Bros Television Animation, and as a fine press bookbinder.

STATEMENT:

To the members of ARLIS Southern California Chapter,

I consider it a great honor to run for the position of Vice-Chair/Chair
Elect for 2006.  As a member of the planning committee for the Artists' Book
Conference, Los Angeles, I was able to see first hand what an organization
like ARLIS can do for its members and the community at large and I would
like to continue my involvement at an even deeper level.

ABC-LA gave me the opportunity to help organize and participate in an event
that brought together librarians, collectors, distributors and artists in a
way that helped to foster greater communication and understanding, create a
sense of community, and generate excitement.  I would like to continue to
encourage this kind of outreach and growth in all aspects of art
librarianship.  As Vice-Chair, I would organize events that would
incorporate hands-on tutorials and discussions in specific areas such as
cataloging and access with our existing practice of touring art libraries,
museums and archives.

Every opportunity I have had to meet with ARLIS members has been a growth
experience for me, and I am excited to be an active member of such a diverse
and exciting organization.

Thank you for your consideration.  Respectfully submitted,

Kathleen Svetlik

Alyssa Resnik-Treasurer

BIO/STATEMENT:

I have been the Senior Library Supervisor at the Brand Library & Art Center
for the past eighteen months. I am responsible for a library (art and music
section of the Glendale Public Library), recital hall, and art gallery. I
supervise 4 full-time employees, and 12-15 part-time staff and volunteers;
work the reference desks 1-2 shifts/week; play a lead role in all events
sponsored by the Brand Associates and sit on several library teams.
Currently, I am project manager for a grant-funded digitization project.

I earned my MLIS from UCLA in 1998 and a BFA from USC in 1990. While at USC
I worked at the VKC Library for four years as a Student Assistant.  My first
full-time library job was at the Getty Research Institute where I worked in
the Acquisitions Department for nine years. Just after earning my MLIS, I
took a short leave from the Getty to go to the Library of Congress as a
Junior Fellow in the Prints & Photographs Department. I left the Getty in
1999 and worked for a short period at Library Associates, responsible for
many retrospective cataloging projects as well as various consulting
positions. My career made a short detour next when I moved into audiovisual
sales to public libraries. And finally prior to coming to Glendale, I was
the Assistant Librarian at the American InterContinental University in Los
Angeles where I was primarily responsible for cataloging, and reference.

I have been a member of ARLIS/NA and ARLIS/SC since I first started at the
Getty and was previously Vice Chair/Chair Elect for ARLIS/SC. I am currently
moderator of the ARLIS/NA Public Librarians Round Table, a member of the
Membership Committee and a member of the Space Planners Round Table. My
current goal is to run for ARLIS/SC Treasurer so that I can become an active
member in the Southern California chapter. I was the Registration Chair for
the highly successful ABC-LA conference in May and was responsible for
receiving the registration applications, accounting for payments, daily and
workshop registrant schedules and provided name tags for all participants.
The duties of ARLIS/SC Treasurer are very similar and I know I will enjoy
being directly involved with the chapter members. While I was ARLIS/SC
Chair, I also worked closely with the Treasurer and assisted with creating
and maintaining the membership roster.

Heather Cleary-Secretary

BIO:

Heather Cleary is the Visual Resources Librarian at the Otis College of Art
and Design. She has worked in libraries almost continuously since high
school. She received her MLIS from UCLA and BA in English Literature from
Reed College. Previous employers include: LACMA Research Library, Rotch
Library at MIT, and the Museum of Fine Arts, Boston. Heather is active in
ARLIS/SC, ARLIS/NA, VRA/SC, and VRA; she served on the planning committee
for the recent Artists' Books Conference Los Angeles. For the past few
years, she has also been the moderator of the Southern California Art &
Special Collections Catalogers Discussion Group. Heather has 1 cat.

STATEMENT:

I am running for the office of Secretary. Although this is the first office
I have applied for in ARLIS/SC, I have tried to be an active member by
attending events whenever possible. In addition to taking minutes and
updating the membership lists, I want to work on expanding the ARLIS/SC web
site in order to attract new members. It is important to begin updating and
expanding our membership rolls in the run up to the joint ARLIS-VRA
conference in San Diego. I have much experience with taking minutes; it has
even been a duty at one of my previous jobs (MIT). In addition, I have
worked on many teams and committees, including chairing them, at Otis,
VRA/SC, and MIT. Lastly, I have a background in web design as well as
database design. I look forward to working with the ARLIS/SC Executive Board
to strengthen the chapter.

Alexis Curry

Head Librarian

Los Angeles County Museum of Art