Grove Art Online News - October 27, 2005
Collaboration between the British Museum and Oxford University Press

The British Museum and Oxford University Press are pleased to announce
that they have reached a landmark agreement under which Grove Art
Online (www.groveart.com) will display nearly 400 images of important
artworks in the British Museum collection. Through this collaboration,
Grove Art Online will highlight major objects in many areas of the
visual arts ranging from African masks and Etruscan bronzes to
Japanese porcelain and European painting.
'The British Museum has a world-wide collection and audience,' says
David Jillings, Head of New Media at The British Museum. 'We can
accommodate many more visitors online than in the galleries, and we're
always looking at new ways of bringing our objects to a wider
audience. We are delighted to be working with Grove Art Online, a
fantastic resource that we believe will help us achieve wider
understanding and appreciation of world cultures.'
Christine Kuan, Editor of Grove Art Online, also expressed her
enthusiasm for this new relationship. 'We are delighted that the
British Museum, a premier institution with unparalleled treasures from
our cultural heritage, shares our interest in disseminating art
historical information for educational and research purposes,' says
Kuan. 'We hope this partnership brings Grove Art Online even closer to
the museum community and will open new ways of thinking about
integrating images and scholarship online.'
By spring 2006, Grove Art Online will display images of British Museum
objects in the text of articles. Thumbnail images will expand and
captions will enable readers to link directly to more information on
the British Museum COMPASS site. Images will include works by
Baccarat, Castellani, Dürer, Leonardo, Michelangelo, Parmigianino,
Wedgwood, and many more.
COMPASS, the British Museum's collections online, features over 5,000
artifacts chosen by curators to reflect the extraordinary range of the
British Museum's collections. Each artifact is illustrated with high
quality images that can be enlarged and studied in detail. The system
features a wealth of links, a glossary, and background information as
well as over 50 tours on a variety of themes. See
www.thebritishmuseum.ac.uk/compass.
Grove Art Online welcomes art images from artists, scholars,
galleries, and museums for inclusion in its 45,000+ articles. This
agreement complements Grove Art Online's fast-developing art image
program--now over 2,500 black and white and color images illustrate
its articles. Today, online art images are critical to the study of
world history, culture, and visual art. To learn more about Grove Art
Online and its art image policy see www.groveart.com

Lisa Nachtigall
Director, Online Reference Product Development
Oxford University Press
212-726-6425
www.oxfordonline.com