Hello All,
This is a question and some bench marking for museum librarians.
How do you handle interlibrary loan requests when the item requested is available in your city?
Our library is a borrowing as well as lending library.
Our policy for our staff requesting an interlibrary loan  has been that if the item requested is available in town, we ask the staff member requesting the material to go to the library and get it. The reason for this is that ILLs are quite costly, and we want to fulfill all ILLs that are not available in the same city. In addition, ILL requests are also time consuming, and we do not have an ILL librarian just devoted to ILL requests.
We have a new staff member who is quite insistent about receiving ILLs available in the city. She is ready to go higher up, so I need some back-up from other museum libraries.
Please send your comments to my e-mail address, I will summarize the responses.
Thank you for your input.
Best regards,
Ursula Kolmstetter

Ursula Kolmstetter
Head Librarian, Stout Library
Indianapolis Museum of Art
4000 Michigan Road
Indianapolis, IN 46208-3326
USA
Tel.: 317-920-2662, ext. 225
Fax: 317-926-8931
e-mail: [log in to unmask]
http://www.ima-art.org
__________________________________________________________________ Mail submissions to [log in to unmask] For information about joining ARLIS/NA see: http://www.arlisna.org/join.html Send administrative matters (file requests, subscription requests, etc) to [log in to unmask] ARLIS-L Archives and subscription maintenance: http://lsv.uky.edu/archives/arlis-l.html Questions may be addressed to list owner (Kerri Scannell) at: [log in to unmask]