I am the editor of the 2nd and GREATLY EXPANDED Bibliograrphy of Gay and
Lesbian Art (first compiled by James Saslow and published by the Queer
Caucus, an affiliated group of College Art Assoc., 1994).

I am an art librarian and, so, YES, all art databases are being
thoroughly checked -- Art Index Retrospective, Art Fulltext,
ArtBibliogaphies Modern, and The Bibliography of the History of Art.  I
have had graduate students in Library Science assisting me in this
effort.  In addition, we have gone through each issue of THE ADVOCATE
and noting all art-related articles - -by hand, since there is NO index
and it is only covered sporadically by general databases.

I have also been submitting entries to the Queer Caucus Newsletter and
gleaning relevant titles from each issue of the newsletter as well.  In
addition, I have asked (via the newsletter) numerous times for the
lengthy period on which I have worked on this, for contributions for
Caucus members!  Some people have sent me listings of articles, etc. on
their own works, but MOST have NOT.

In addition, I have been searching larger national databases and the
online catalogs of Library of Congress and large, research academic
libraries as well.  This is all in addition to voracious reading on my
part and thorough reading of bibliographies and footnotes in relevant
books!!

I am thinking at this point, that when the GREATLY EXPANDED edition of
this bibliography is completed, it needs a website connected with the
publisher that will provide regular updates.

I know that many people are complaining because this project has taken
so long, but it is being done on VOLUNTARY time (in addition to a
full-time job) and, as a librarian, I believe in being as thorough as
possible, including with individual citations in the bibliography.  I
have been trying to "flesh-out" incomplete citations that were in the
first edition and submitted by people since that edition - -time consuming!!

One more thing I have been examining thoroughlya re the newer
biographical dictionaries and relevant encyclopedias that have been
recently published (becasue they include some bibliographic citations).

It is a pleasure working on the bibliography and it will be a
spectacular resource when finished!

Thanks, Ray Anne Lockard

[log in to unmask] wrote:
> Can the compilers of the bibliography please state ON THIS LIST how it is
> being done? I have asked this before. It would help other researchers.
>
> Is for instance, BHA being used? I note a strange compilation appears in
> the Newsletter. Most cites given are US based.
>
> For I believe the second time: PLEASE state on this list and in the
> newsletter the principles of compilation. What sources are being used? If
> this is not done much of the work will have to be done over again.
>
> By citing the way it is being compiled it will help future compilers. The
> major thrust of this group should be getting the bibliography in a
> readable form or as readable and searchable form as possible, It is a most
> brilliant work even in its present scattered form
>
> BOGLA was amazing. I had not heard of the newsletter of gay and lesbian
> architects for instance. I am nto sure there is a copy in any US library
> even. It could even disappear. And who knows what valuable info is in it.
>

> best
>
> Paul

Ray Anne Lockard,
Bibliographer and Public Services
Frick Fine Arts Library
University of Pittsburgh
Pittsburgh, PA  15260
Voice:  412-648-2411
Fax:  412-648-7568
E-Mail:  [log in to unmask]

"A book should be a ball of light in one's hand."
Exra Pound