From: Ray A Lockard <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Saturday, October 1, 2005 8:49 am
Subject: Re: [ARLIS-L] FW: query: artists/sexual
abuse survivors

> There is also Virginia Woolf, Maya Angelou, and
the author of KISS,
> Katheryn Harris or Harrison.
>
>                         	Ray Anne Lockard
>                          Head, Frick Fine Arts Library
>                            University Library System
>                             University of Pittsburgh
>                              Pittsburgh, PA  15260
>                               Voice:  412-648-2410
>                          	Fax:  412-648-7568
>                             E-mail:
>
>         	A book should be a ball of light in one's
hands.
>                                    Ezra Pound
>
> On Fri, 30 Sep 2005, Wilson, Terrie wrote:
>
> > I'm having trouble coming up with names of
artists, past or
> present, that were victims of rape/sexual abuse.
The person
> inquiring knows about Artemesia Gentileschi, and I
added
> contemporary pop singer Fiona Apple to the list,
but aside from
> that, I'm stumped.
> >
> > Anyone out there in the collective wisdom that
can think of other
> artists in this category?  I've copied the
original message below.

> > Thanks in advance,
> > Terrie Wilson
> >
> > Terrie L. Wilson
> > Art Librarian
> > Michigan State University
> > 100 Library
> > East Lansing, MI  48824
> > 517-432-6123 ext. 279
> >

> > I'm a bit stuck on this reference question so I
think it's time
> to ask an expert. I have a student looking for a
list, of sorts, of
> artists who are survivors of rape/sexual abuse.
> >

> > She wants to tie together the relationship
between having had
> that experience, and a person finding a creative
outlet in art -
> well-know artists contemporary or historical.
> >

> > She's interested in authors too - and we've
identified folks like
> John Irving, Virginia Woolf, and Alice Walker -
but I'm having real
> trouble finding an article in either an art or
literary journal (or
> any reputable periodical) that deals with this topic.
> >

> > I suppose I could easily find resources about
images of rape in
> art - but that's not at all what we want - so I'm
a bit confounded
> as to how to search from here.

> >       http://lsv.uky.edu/archives/arlis-l.html
> > Questions may be addressed to list owner (Kerri
Scannell) at: