Dear Colleagues,

The Architecture Dept at my University has been asked to compile a list of
the top 20% research journals in their discipline. The definition for
'research' is very narrowly defined and is taken to include only refereed
journals.  Publication by the academic staff in these top journals will
partly determine the distribution of research monies to the Schools.  As you
all know, many architecture journals, especially in the field of design, are
not refereed as such but do have expert editorial panels.

The Architecture department will try to argue the case for the inclusion of
some of the top journals which are not refereed.  They have asked me to find
some supporting documentation.

I was wondering if anyone has been confronted with this problem before?  I
did post a question about research journals on this list some time ago and
everyone was very helpful.  I have been using the AASL core list as a basis
for my documentation but it is a list compiled specifically for first
degrees rather than research.

I guess I'm asking if anyone has ever compiled journal lists specifically
for research (not just refereed journals) that I can use as supporting
evidence.  Is there anything in your accreditation that mentions this area?

I would be grateful for any help?

Thanks,
Cathy

Catherine Bauer
Liaison Librarian - Architecture, Planning and Property Studies
Architecture and Music Library
The University of Queensland
St.Lucia Qld 4072
Australia