Too much fun to be able to resist jumping in the guessing game.  While I agree with Wolfgang that the Arcimboldo beard and mustache
is a duster made out of fluffy fur parts, my opinion about the Harsdorffer version is that the beard is a duster made of some kind of soft hemp (I remember seeing such things), while the more rigid mustache looks like a special duster for thin books made out of a single animal part such as a tail or a wing.

Anna Bigazzi, University of Hartford

Date:         Sun, 24 Jul 2005 13:18:47 -0400
Sender: ART LIBRARIES SOCIETY DISCUSSION LIST <[log in to unmask]>
From: "Wolfgang M. Freitag"

The implement that Arcimboldo uses to construct mustache and beard of his librarian is , in my opinion, definitely a duster . The clue is in the Oslo version where the handle is quite visible. But, it's not a feather duster, rather this duster is made from pieces of fur from the parts of  small animals usually from the tail or the paws of  rodents (hare, rabbit, weasel), even foxes. Arcimboldo knew about the dangers of dust  first- hand since he was not only court painter of three Habsburg emperors but also art collections manager for two of them. We can be sure that he had recognized dust as an enemy of art collections. I don't know weather his job included the oversight over book collections but we can assume that he knew colleagues who were.  In the sixteenth century books were often shelved or stacked with the foredges facing out from the shelves thus making them great dust catchers. So, frequent dusting became a necessity.
__________________________________________________________________ Mail submissions to [log in to unmask] For information about joining ARLIS/NA see: http://www.arlisna.org/join.html Send administrative matters (file requests, subscription requests, etc) to [log in to unmask] ARLIS-L Archives and subscription maintenance: http://lsv.uky.edu/archives/arlis-l.html Questions may be addressed to list owner (Kerri Scannell) at: [log in to unmask]