Except that doesn't fit with the fact that the whole image is made up of
books, or their parts, e.g., the ear is a ribbon that's attached to a
book.  I suggested the feather end of a quill pen - it's a stretch
visually, but a writing implement is closer to books than a mussel.  The
two bits in the middle could be a mouth or lips showing through?  Or
could there be a clue in the book titles?

Erin Blake wrote:

>An unopened and fairly flat mussel, in profile?  Definitely something with bilateral symmetry along the horizontal axis...  See http://www.ocparks.com/tidepools/graphics/Mussel4.jpg for a non-profile view of a mussel shell that I could imagine turned on its side as that moustache.
>
>   EB.

Kathy Zimon
Co-Editor, Art Documentation
ARLIS/NA