I am very pleased to announce that the American Folk Art Museum's Shirley
K. Schlafer Library has finally launched it's very first online catalog,
now available from our website, www.folkartmuseum.org.  (Currently
announced on the main page, or find the Library under "Information.")

The software is Caspr's low-priced ASP service LibraryCom. It's rather
clunky but I'm happy that we're now finally joining the 20th century.
Recon was by Marcive. All comments and criticism are welcome. The records
are not yet included in RLIN or OCLC but hopefully will be in the future.

I hope that this resource will be useful. We have a very specialized
collection focusing on traditional American folk art and the work of
contemporary self-taught artists (international in scope). Additional
information is available on the website. Contact me directly with any
questions about collections or access.

Our press release is included below.

James Mitchell
Librarian, American Folk Art Museum
Shirley K. Schlafer Library
45 West 53rd St.
New York, NY 10019
(212) 265-1040 x110

American Folk Art Museum's Library Catalog Now Available On Line

The American Folk Art Museum’s Shirley K. Schlafer Library has completed
the conversion of its card catalog to an online database and is now
available for searching via the museum’s website www.folkartmuseum.org
(the Library page can be accessed under "information").

More than 9,000 records representing the entire book collection—including
all cataloged books, periodicals, pamphlets, videotapes and DVDs— have
been converted from the old card catalog and loaded into an
Internet-accessible database using Caspr Library Systems’s LibraryCom
service.~ All records can be searched by author, title, and subject, with
advanced features for combining multiple fields.

The conversion project was funded by a grant from the Metropolitan New
York Library Council (METRO), which dispenses state funds to libraries and
educational institutions in the region.

This project is the second major step in the American Folk Art Museum’s
plan to upgrade its library facilities and services. "After moving into a
climate-controlled space in the new building at 45 West 53 Street in early
2002, we have worked to improve the cataloging and accessibility of the
library’s collections for the use of members and the general public,"
noted librarian James Mitchell. "We will soon begin to add records for
other collections, including auction catalogues, vertical files, and
museum archives," commented Mr. Mitchell. Announcements of additional
software enhancements and digital imaging initiatives will follow.

For more information contact the librarian, James Mitchell, 212-265-1040
ext. 110, [log in to unmask] For press information, please
contact Susan Flamm, 212-265-1040 ext. 113, [log in to unmask]