TRANSCONTINENTAL PERSPECTIVES
ARLIS/NA in the Canadian Rockies
Banff, Alberta, Canada
May 5-9, 2006

Banff Perspectives #1

Why Banff? As the flamboyant American, William Van Horne, hired in 1881
to build the Canadian Pacific Railway through the Rockies, stated so
memorably: “…because we can’t export the scenery…we’ll import the
tourists.”

We can’t export the scenery either, so we hope to import many arlis
members and exhibitors to attend the Banff Conference in May 2006. In
the interim, and before we can entice you with our exciting program (the
program proposals are now in the hands of the co-chairs) we’ll
familiarize you with the territory: Banff National Park, the town of
Banff, the Fairmont Banff Springs Hotel, its history, attractions, and
that fabulous scenery. It all began with the building of the railway,
and railway tours are still a wonderful way to experience the Rocky
Mountains. As an introduction to the area, read about such a tour in the
Globe & Mail Travel Section, Saturday, May 28:
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/ArticleNews/TPStory/LAC/20050528/ALBERTARAIL28/TPTravel/?query=how+the+west+was+won
- and plan on coming to the Banff Conference, May 5-9, 2006, to
experience for yourself the “rocky mountain high” that inspired us to
invite ARLIS/NA to this unique location.

Kathy Zimon
Local Arrangements Co-Chair, Publicity
ARLIS/NA Banff 2006 Conference

--