I was wondering if any of the art librarians out there could help me.  I'm
an architecture librarian and this query is a little outside my field.  I
have a lecturer who is researching geometric tiles and tiling.  They were
popular in the middle to late 19th century.  Patterns were based on squares,
rectangles, triangles and hexagons. The tiles were coloured with complicated
edges and they were used in private homes in the halls and on stairs.  Some
were also used in public buildings.

I can find books on the history of tiles and tiling and some pictures of
geometric tiles but the researcher is after the specifications for the
laying of the tiles including dimesions of the tiles themselves and spaces
between the tiles. I thought perhaps an early trade book might be useful or
a book on restoration but as yet I've had very little luck. Can anyone help
me or at least point me in the right direction.

Many thanks,
Cathy

Catherine Bauer
Librarian - Architecture/Planning/Property Studies
Architecture and Music Library
The University of Queensland
St. Lucia QLD  4072
Australia