Greetings all. I am writing to gain insight into what those of you
(mainly probably in academic) libraries are doing about old hardbound
copies of periodical indexes (Art Index, Avery Index to Architectural
Periodicals, etc.) as well as the G.K.Hall library catalogs like the
Fogg, Avery, Harvard Graduate School of Design, etc. The Arts and
Humanities librarians here at Syracuse University Library are reviewing
our reference collections and these kinds of questions are popping up.
We get online versions of the indexes like the Art Index and Avery Index
and so have access to retrospective as well as current information. The
various G.k. Hall catalogs collected in the 1970s-1980s are rarely if
ever used. We plan to check with individual libraries to see if they
have completed retrospective conversion on their holdings. But we are
really wondering if it is worth placing this material in an off site
storage facility or if some of you are deciding to just withdraw this
material. If you are withdrawing- what criteria are you using?. Any
information about your practices would be helpful. With thanks, Barbara
Opar, Architecture Librarian, Syracuse University Library

Barbara Opar