Dear Colleagues,

The University of Maryland is attempting to subscribe to the auction
sales index, ArtFact.  However, ArtFact's standard licensing agreement
is in conflict with what the University, as a state institution, can
agree.  Other publishers and vendors regularly adjust their licensing
agreements, in accordance with our state guidelines which state that the
court of resolution be the licensee's state and that the licensee does
not indemnify the vendor.

Artfact has undergone some administrative changes in the last year, and
I'd like to think that new staff is just unfamiliar with licensing
arrangements with public institutions.

Have any of you--at state funded institutions--who subscribe to Artfact,
had any success in adjusting the standard Artfact licensing agreement.
If so, please reply to me directly and not to the list.  Thank you.

Joan Stahl

--
Joan Stahl
Branch Manager, Art & Architecture Libraries