Error during command authentication.

Error - unable to initiate communication with LISTSERV (errno=10061, phase=CONNECT, target=127.0.0.1:2306). The server is probably not started. A Thomas Jefferson Query

Dear All -- especially those in Modern and Contemporary Arts institutions,

I have started work with a summer intern on a project, based on mutual interest, that will entail a wide-ranging search of published literature and/or unpublished information documenting how Thomas Jefferson has inspired artists and works since 1900.  At this point we are envisioning including not only painting, sculpture, installations, performance art, decorative arts, and photography, but also music, drama, movies, and possibly literary fiction.  We are definitely excluding architecture and landscape architecture, and we're also excluding collectibles, cartoons, posters and prints (except for "high" quality engraving, etching, litho, … works).  We are at the moment using all of the normal research tools, and Art Bibliographies Modern has proven fairly fruitful; the inventory in SIRIS is also pretty useful; the other "old standards" have been much less revealing.    The installation event held at Univ of Virginia a few years, resulting in "Siting Jefferson, contemporary artists interpret Thomas Jefferson’s legacy" edited by Jill Hartz is known to us.

So, I would appreciate hearing from anyone with information, or even just clues, hints, intuitions, about artists whose work has been influenced in any way by TJ -- I know that he is sometimes used as a negative icon….

Cheers,

-- jack

Jack Robertson  ||  Foundation Librarian
Jefferson Library  || Thomas Jefferson Foundation
PO Box 316  Charlottesville, VA  22902
(434) 984-7545  ||  http://www.monticello.org/library

__________________________________________________________________ Mail submissions to [log in to unmask] For information about joining ARLIS/NA see: http://www.arlisna.org/join.html Send administrative matters (file requests, subscription requests, etc) to [log in to unmask] ARLIS-L Archives and subscription maintenance: http://lsv.uky.edu/archives/arlis-l.html Questions may be addressed to list owner (Kerri Scannell) at: [log in to unmask]