Do We Still Need a GLBT Roundtable in the Art Libraries Society of North
America?

On April 20, 2005, Ted C. Goodman, a revered and long-time member of the
Art Libraries Society of North America and one of the founding member of
the Gay and Lesbian Interests Roundtable (GLIRT) sent out an e-mail to
the ARLIS members electronic mailing list calling the dissolution of the
roundtable citing that because of "the current recycling of moderators,"
it was time to dissolve the group.  He stated that the roundtable had
outlived its usefulness.  The list included some of the founders and
long time members of the roundtable.  Coincidentally, those who
supported the dissolution, except for one person, did not attend the
annual meeting in Houston or voice their opinions on the issue there.
Wasn't the Houston meeting an appropriate venue to voice the proposed
dissolution?  Why wait until afterwards and do it via e-mail?  Is this
an emerging protocol?

At a time when diversity issues are at the forefront of national
debates, at time when the Society of American Archivists (SAA) and the
American Libraries Association (ALA) have committed themselves to
creating and supporting a glbt presence within their structures, comes
the proposed dissolution.   At first, I thought this logic was just a
ploy, as previously demonstrated by similar antics with the dissolution
of the Diversity Committee in 2002, to test the waters of member
interest, but on closer inspection, it was actually true.  I was quite
disappointed.  Quite frankly, as the out-going Moderator, it would have
been easy for me to not care, because I'm transitioning to a new
position with art librarianship now being a part of my work, as opposed
to being the sum of it.  But something inside tugged at me, and I wasn't
going to let this one go, if for the future members who may one day
thank us for trying to keep the roundtable intact.

The proposed dissolution of the group raises interesting issues of how
ARLIS members see their rights as members in the governance of the
organization.  Why should the rest of us participate in organized
committees where moderators and chairs are nominated and elected if ad
hoc groups can freely come forward and dictate the dissolution of
roundtables?  Why do certain members of the organization take it upon
themselves to make decisions that affect entire groups of people?  It is
my opinion, that over time, these behaviors reduce organizations to
cliques and deter democratic process and participation and are an
antithesis to organizational development and growth.  This has been a
grave concern and a possible reason for a decline in membership in
recent years.  By members preferring to look the other way at this
insidious behavior, ARLIS/NA, as an organization, has historically
operated differently from other library associations.

Another interesting issue, maybe paralleling the times we as glbt people
now live in, is how certain members of the gay community view identity
politics as no longer necessary in the context of their professional
lives.  Coincidentally, an early GLIRT member and previous Moderator Ray
Anne Lockard had recently stepped up again to act as Vice Moderator and
is set to act as Moderator in the association's annual meeting in Banff
in 2006.  As if by design, Ted and his pals struck at a time when Ray
Anne is on sabbatical.  I don't know if the ad hoc group consulted with
her prior to sending out their message?

At my first ARLIS/NA meeting in Pittsburgh in 1999, a long time female
member took me aside during coffee with the vendors and cautioned me
against saying anything politically incorrect against the gay and
lesbian members in the organization.   She told me gay men and lesbians
were a force to be reckoned with and that I should be careful what I
said (in other words, not to tick them off).  Perhaps she thought that I
as a Latino male would find the abundance of lgbt persons in the art
librarianship profession an affront?  Perhaps she thought I wasn't
accustomed to working with glbt people?  Whatever the reason, she had
good intentions and from then on, I was intrigued and interested in
attending a GLIRT meeting and participating as a round table member, but
due to my attendance at the Women and Art Roundtable (Wom-Art) meeting
(where I later became the first male moderator), I could not attend
because they were both scheduled at the same time.

During my second ARLIS/NA conference, in 2000 in Los Angeles, I did
attend a GLIRT meeting.  It was a bit unnerving to attend a mostly White
male meeting.  Even then, it was obvious who was calling the shots.  In
recent years and maybe since its inception, GLIRT has been characterized
as a close knit group of select gay White males who have passed the
position of Vice Moderator and Moderator amongst themselves.  I was
probably the first outsider to volunteer and be elected as GLIRT
Vice-Moderator in St. Louis and then serve as the Moderator in Houston.
In retrospect, I was not as effective as previous Moderators because I
was not part of the clique, although I did not do less work.

I believe that dissolving the roundtable would equate us to shooting
ourselves in the foot.  If DIVERSITY is a virtue in art librarianship
and in the library profession, eliminating this important roundtable, is
setting us back in time.  You don't see other library organizations
dissolving their GLBT committees, even in the face of extreme political
and social adversity.  Why should we in ARLIS/NA be any different?  It
doesn't make any sense.

If the members who support the dissolution believe that the roundtable
has outlived its usefulness, I recommend they put their energies
elsewhere within the organization. That or they can put time and energy
in recruiting new members, but why give up?  The recycling of leadership
is partly due because of certain inbreeding of members.   The people who
lent their name in support of the dissolution are members of a recycling
corps themselves-they exchange seats periodically on just about every
committee and on the presidency for our organization.

Years from now, I want to look back and know that I was part of the
effort that responded to try and keep GLIRT alive.  It is in times like
this that I am reminded of the Gary Larson cartoon where a herd of
cattle (or is it a herd of sheep?) is running towards the end of a cliff
and one is asking the other, "Where are we going?" and the other one
states, "I don't know, but it is sure a lot of fun."   As an aside, it
amuses me that while the world was mourning the death of a John Paul II
and the cardinals were deciding on a new Pope, Ted Goodman and his
cardinals were gathering consensus and deciding on the future of GLIRT.

Miguel Juarez, Art & Photography Librarian, University of Arizona
Library

*       Moderator, Gay and Lesbian Interests Roundtable, the Art
Libraries Society of North America, 2004-05.
*       Moderator, organizer: "Chicano Art through the Collector's Eye,"
ARLIS/NA 2005.
*       Outgoing Co-chair, Diversity Committee, the Art Libraries
Society of North America, 2004-05
*       Member, Women and Art (Wom-ART Roundtable) 2005-.
*       Committee member, the Art Libraries Society of North America
Professional Development Committee, Mentoring Sub-committee, 2004-.
*       List owner and moderator, Photography Librarians, 2003-.
*       "Adding Teeth: Forum on Diversity," development of a web site
that focused on the needs of diversity of ARLIS/NA, led to the
re-constitution of the ARLIS/NA Diversity Committee from an ad hoc group
to a full standing committee:
http://www.library.arizona.edu/users/juarezm/addingteeth.html
*       Moderator, Academic Library Division, the Art Libraries Society
of North America -Visual Resources Association Joint Conference, St.
Louis, MO, March 2002.
*       Moderator, Women and Art Roundtable (Wom-Art), the Art Libraries
Society of North America -Visual Resources Association Joint Conference,
St. Louis, MO.   Credited for successfully changing name of roundtable
from WART to Wom-Art, March 2002.
*       Co-organizer (with Kim Collins, Emory University) for the Art
Libraries Society of North America -Visual Resources Association Joint
Conference, St. Louis, MO -Visual Resources Association Plenary Session
II: The Three V's: Visual Technology, Visual Culture, and Visual
Literacy, March 2002.
*       Co-organized meeting of Photography Librarians.  This was the
first time in the history of the Art Libraries Society of North America
that a group of librarians interested in photography convened at the
annual meeting, March 2002.
*       Organized first meeting of multicultural art librarians.  Our
group sought to increase the attendance of underrepresented librarians
and library school students at the annual Art Libraries Society of North
America meeting, March 2002.
*       Presentation: "Developing an Online Teaching Portfolio to Assess
Bibliographic Instruction," as part of "The Classroom Odyssey: Teaching
Adventures in the Art Library & Cyberspace," moderated by B. J. Kish
Irvine, Ph.D., Fine Arts Librarian, Indiana University, the Art
Libraries Society of North America Conference, Los Angeles, Calif.,
April 2001.
*       Poster Session: "Developing Collaborative Web Sites at the
University of Arizona," Tuesday, the Art Libraries Society of North
America Conference, Los Angeles, Calif., April 2001.
*       Vice-Moderator, the Art Libraries Society of North America,
Academic Libraries Division, March 2000/2001.
*       Vice-Moderator, the Art Libraries Society of North America,
Women & Art Roundtable, March 2000/2001.
*       Update Column Editor, the Art Libraries Society of North
America, Academic Libraries Section, March 2000-2001.

Miguel Juarez, Assistant Librarian

(Art, Art Education, Art History & Photography)

Fine Arts Library

Center for Creative Photography Library

University of Arizona Library

Office: Music 231B

P.O. Box 210103, Tucson, AZ  85721-0103

VOICE: (520) 626-9434/FAX: (520) 626-1630

E-mail: [log in to unmask]
<mailto:[log in to unmask]>